Chapter 21 - Coronation Horror

[ 4 Days Till Battle]

[Hardia Royal Family Estate]

Adrian was sitting among three other soldiers, a bottle of whiskey in hand. He stared at his hands and at the center of the table. He had lost. Both the game, and his family's money. All of it. The soldier across from him laughed, a full on belly laugh. The kind you'd hear from you neighbor's dad after he told a "dad joke". The soldier, was general Novell. The idiot general, according to Adrian.

"Ye' can't do this to yourself, boy!" He said, taking the pile of cash from the table. The other two soldiers grinned. They hated Adrian's ass. He was shortening their life span. Now he hardly had one.

"Sir, please, you can't take that!"

"Oh, now you care?" The general asked, sliding the wad of cash into his coat.

"Yes. Please. . ."

"Boy, you've cost us a lot of trouble. You know?"

"What's wrong with fighting for your country?" He tried to defend himself. The general stood from his seat.

"There's nothing wrong with it. We're fighting for a girl. That's the problem." Novell collected the cards, "We can't risk hundreds of lives for one person."

"Why not? You've done it." Adrian stated.

"That was different. I was barely thirty. I was in love. The king is doing this for money. To marry his daughter off to the prince of another kingdom." Novell waved him off and stepped out of the room.

"What? What about my arranged marriage?!"

"He threw that out the window when he heard what you did to her in that guild hall." Before any other questions were asked. The door was closed. He ran his callused hand through his hair.

"Fuck," he muttered. He had nothing. Just a uniform and half empty bottle of Jameson. He stood and kicked his chair. He left the room and walked along a hallway.

It was midnight, most people were asleep. That's what made the walk uncomfortable. He heard voices, yet no one was around. His pace kicked up as the voices continued.

You bastard. You really think drinking and gambling will solve your problems. It's your fault you're like this.

You're a disgrace. Honestly.

He saw Aurora walking towards him.

No one even respects you.

The voice in his head sounded like her.

Just die. In battle, I hope that celestial mage kills you.

Before Aurora knew what was happening, Adrian grabbed her braid and dragged her down the hallway. He threw her in a room.

• • •

[ Lucy's apartment ]

Lucy woke late that night and stretched. Or she attempted to. Her hands bumped into something hard and warm wrapped around her waist. Her face turning dark pink at the sight.

"N-Natsu! Wake up!" She tried to pry his arms off of her, but his grip tightened. He mumbled something incoherent, quieting her. It was a few more moments before he spoke again.

"You're my queen . . . They can't change that." Her back was against his chest. His head moved and was nuzzled in her neck. "Don't leave me . . ."