Chapter 27 - Facade

Kaylee's POV

Fifteen minutes.

Fifteen minutes was all I had until my mom arrived and called the cops on me for having drunk strangers sleeping on my couch. Not to mention the sight of all the drugs and emptied-out beer bottles lying around would cause her to freak. Or maybe she would forget about all of those things and focus her attention instead on her stained carpet. There was no way to be sure how she would react.

God, why didn't I remember that she was coming over? She had called last week to make sure I remembered and I had promised that I wouldn't forget.

I made myself get up and pushed gently at Ayden's arm. The only response he gave me was a grunt before rolling over onto his side and pulling the covers over his head. That was his fault for drinking so much last night.

Sighing, I yanked the pillow I had been sleeping on off the bed and hit him with it. At that, he started and glared at me.

"What the fuck, Kaylee?" Good morning to him, too. I grabbed his phone off the nightstand next to him and shoved it against his bare chest before picking my own up and sending him a message.

Kaylee: my mom's coming over in 15 min

He picked his phone up when it vibrated against his chest and read the message aloud.

"Tell her no then."

Kaylee: I can't do that. She checks up on me once a month to make sure I didn't burn her house down

I might as well have this time, I thought to myself.

"You couldn't have told me sooner?" Ayden said, suddenly remembering the fact that Asher, Mya, and Khloe were passed out downstairs. He got up and pulled on a random shirt he found on the floor and rushed out the door with me following at his heels.

Just as we thought, none of them seemed even half-conscious. He leaned over the second-floor railing and ran his hands through his messy hair. "Well, shit." he stated. Right at that moment, my phone vibrated in my hand.

Mom: can't wait to see you!

I held it out for him to see.

He looked around at the mess downstairs again and nodded once at me. "Go get some air freshener or something and meet me downstairs."

As it turned out, we didn't have air freshener. What we did have was a lot of perfume and detergent sprays. So while I grabbed a black trash bag and started throwing the bottles in, Ayden was in the bathroom trying to muster up a hot enough shower that would cause the steam we needed to wash out the smell of cigarette smoke and beer. I read it in a book once that it was a way to get rid of the smell. I only prayed that it worked fast enough. I sprayed some detergent and perfume around just in case.

"It's done." Ayden came out of the bathroom sweating. I finished wiping the table off and got to my feet. The white powder clung to the wet towel. That only left one more thing to take care of. We both turned around to stare at the passed-out bodies at the same time.

"Where should we put them?" he asked. I looked at Asher who still had his fingers wrapped around a bottle and his other hand on his girlfriend, Khloe's, waist. She was lying on top of him and I had no doubt that when he woke up, he would be sore. The other girl, Mya was snoring with her mouth open. Her body was lying sideways on the single armchair with her head on one side of the armrest and her legs over the other one. I shrugged and looked to him for an answer.

"What about your room?"

I shook my head. My mother had a habit of going through my things to make sure I wasn't making any stupid decisions. Too bad this time I had no proof of the decisions I had made.