Chapter 5 - Snow

Kaylee's POV

It was strange letting a boy I barely knew lead me somewhere unknown.

It was also strange, too, because sometime when I wasn't paying very much attention to him, he had slipped his hand into mine, leading me wherever he was going.

Even stranger, I let him take it.

And it felt nice, I guess you could say.

It was a silent walk most of the way, either because we were both too distracted with our own thoughts, or because we just didn't have anything to say to each other. But it was a comfortable silence. Neither of us felt obligated to say anything. The only sound that filled the air was the sound of us breathing.

Finally, he opens his mouth, a little mist forming as he formed his words, like a little dragon breathing out fire, and says, "Close your eyes."

I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Just trust me." he replies, a little playful smile barely showing on his face. There's a little glint in his eyes and ignoring all the warning signs my heart screams at me, I nod and decide to trust him, closing my eyes as I do so.

"Thank you," I hear him whisper quietly beside me, before he tugs me in a different direction.

A few seconds later, he says, "Watch your step. There's a bunch of scattered stones here. And a slope." he adds.

I listen and carefully walk down the slope, and could feel the uneven stones on the ground, slightly making me lose my balance, but Will kept a steady hand on me the whole time, catching me every time.

Every time, I felt him grip onto my hand tightly to keep me from falling, I could feel my lips curve into a slight smile, blushing as I remembered that we were only still strangers.

Then, he says, "We're here. Open your eyes."

I take a deep breath before opening my eyes.

The sight before me blew me away.

I stare.

I stare at the small creek before me, then up at the trees that were covered in white snow. I couldn't help twirling around as I took in all of it.

It was absolutely breathtaking.

I had a million things I wanted to tell him, but instead, I pull out my pad and a pen and write Thank you for showing me this.

His eyes read over the words quickly, before giving me a simple nod and turning away, looking for something.

My eyes follow him as he walks around the snow covered ground, until he squats down slowly digging at a patch of snow beside a huge tree that had lost all of its leaves.

I walk over to him and dig at the snow next to him, too.

He glances up at me for a brief second, before returning to the snow. After just a little bit of digging, he pulls out a basket.

Opening it, he takes out a huge blanket. And then another one.

I watch as he spreads one of the blankets out nearby the creek and waves me over as he sits down on it, asking me to join him.

I reluctantly walk over to him and sit down next to him, leaving a respectful distance from him.

He laughs a little, and pulls me closer, wrapping the blanket around both of us.

And for some reason, I had to keep reminding myself that we were just strangers. Not even friends. Not anything. Just strangers.

"Do you like it?" he asks.

Now it was my turn to laugh. He really didn't know my answer?

He turns to me again and I tilt my head at him, as if to ask him You don't know?

He chuckles and says to himself, "I'll take that as a yes."

I pull the blanket over myself a bit more. It was winter, and we were technically just sitting on snow. With a thin blanket beneath us.

I watch as the little creek, barely a few inches tall, runs down the little river bank.

I think of fishes swimming inside it, and living creatures inside of it, but it was winter, so of course I wouldn't see anything.

"I used to come here a lot," Will starts.

I look at him and wait for him to go on.

"Then things happened, and life just became hell, you know?" he stares at the creek in front of him. "You have no idea how many times I've told myself everyday that it was just an obstacle in life that would eventually pass. But the thing is, this obstacle will never pass." I turn my head sideways to look at him, trying to read into his words and figure out what exactly his obstacle was. "Sometimes I don't think I'll survive it." he explains, turning to face me. His gaze catches me off guard and I blush wildly, looking away quickly.

"You know I usually don't smash windows on people, right?" Will asks, referring to the first day we met.

I smile and write, No biggie. Happens all the time.

And there it was again, that quiet smile barely showing.

You should smile more often.

"Yeah?" he says as he reads the words I had just written.

I nod continuously.

I think it's quite beautiful.

He sighs, another mist coming out, "Maybe if I found a reason to live, it would be a hell of a lot easier."

Well, I hope you find your reason soon.

He nods and says, "I haven't shown anyone this place before. You're the first. Not even Louis knows."

And even though I had no idea who this, 'Louis' was, I nod.

Thank you. I write again.

"You're different." he suddenly says.

I snuggle closer into the blanket.

How so?

"I didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant it in a good way." he explains quickly, trying to clear things up, even though I already knew what he meant. "You have that gorgeous auburn hair of yours, beautiful brown eyes, and that lovely smile... I could go on forever." he blushes slightly.

I blush along with him. What about you? You have that cute bad boy look, the soft hair, those irresistible brown eyes, the non-existent smiles...

"They're there," he promises, "the smiles."

I don't know why I feel compelled to write it, but my hand moves on its own. Promise me you won't give up on yourself.

He fidgets slightly, and plays with his hands. Then, in a voice so soft, barely audible, he says, "I promise. Only if you don't give up either."

Haha, a double promise. I joke with him.

He holds out his pinky, and I loop mine around his.

"I promise." he says, meeting my eyes.

I promise, too. I reply, and look up just as it starts to snow lightly around us.

~A/N: Here's the update you've been waiting for and be sure to let me know your thoughts on it, and COMMENT, FOLLOW, and VOTE! Thanks! <3

~Forever_Yours_Too