Chapter 16 - Shattered Glass

Will's POV

Quietly I twisted the doorknob and pulled it open just enough for me to slip through it. I held my breath, praying that it wouldn't creak.

Luckily it didn't and I walked through the crack I opened and began walking towards the front door.

I stopped for a minute in the living room when I saw Chance asleep in Louis's arms. They seemed so peaceful, it was actually quite cute. I smirked to myself and made a mental note to joke about it with Louis later.

As I got closer to the front door, I grabbed the coat I must've worn last night that Louis had hung on the coat rack, and pulled it on. Then I walked towards the kitchen and grabbed Louis's keys to his car. I'd return it later anyways.

I reached for the doorknob to leave, but just then, I heard a shifting sound and Louis's voice.

"Hey, where are you going?" I sighed, but turned around to look at him from across the room.

"Somewhere," I mumbled, setting my hand on the doorknob again.

"Well, aren't you going to stay for breakfast? You haven't eaten anything since yesterday." Louis looked up at me and then back at Chance's sleeping body again.

"I'm good." I pulled the doorknob open, but Louis kept talking.

"Will, tell me the truth. Where are you going?"

"It doesn't concern you." I said simply. I could've left then, but for some reason, I wanted to stay to hear his reason for asking all these questions that I didn't want to answer.

"Will, will you sit down, please? I just wanted to-" I cut him off with a snort-sounding sound.

"What are you, Louis, my fucking therapist?"

"Well, then," he looked at me and then nodded his head towards the kitchen, "If I say yes, will you sit down and tell me what's wrong?"

I shook my head disbelievingly, but found myself surprisingly agreeing to what he had asked previously. I closed the door again and walked towards the kitchen, dropping the keys back on his table.

Louis smiled a little and quietly moved out of Chance's grasp to come sit with me.

"Want some water?" Louis asked as he moved into the kitchen, taking out two glass cups and setting it down underneath the water dispenser without waiting for an answer from me.

When the cups were filled, he slid one against the table to me as he sat down on the stool across from me.

A few minutes passed with nothing between us but silence, until Louis asked, "Will, what happened yesterday? At the coffee shop?"

I gripped the glass cup of water tighter. "Nothing."

Louis nodded once and brought the cup up to his lips to sip. When he brought it down, he tilted his head at me and said, "Don't lie to me, Will. I know you better than that."

I didn't know how to respond to that.

He sighed and glanced around the room. "Will, I know I swore that I would never bring it up again, but I'm honestly worried for you. Ever since Natalie came back-"

"What makes you think that any of this has to do with her?" I growled.

Louis avoided eye contact when he said, "I have every right to believe that she has everything to do with everything that's happened since she's been back." Then he looked at me. "She's dangerous, Will. That's why I don't understand why you still want her around. Don't you remember-"