Chapter 22 - Making Amends

Will's POV

Sleep didn't come for me for hours.

Even after Natalie had fallen asleep and I had turned and turned for hours after coming home from Kaylee's party, I couldn't help but feel exhausted yet unable to sleep after the whole fiasco with Natalie. It wasn't like I could just pretend that nothing had happened like she was doing. I think that was what pissed me off the most.

Glaring at the ceiling didn't help either. My eyes were begging me to be closed, and yet, tired as I was, I didn't have the energy to do so. I glanced over at Natalie and saw her blonde hair splayed across her face as she slept without a sound. I didn't know how she could do that after everything yesterday. After a while of doing absolutely nothing, I picked myself off the bed and quietly slipped out of the room and down the stairs.

However, the minute I stepped out of the room, I heard the door open after me and the soft patter of her footsteps as she followed me down to the kitchen.

I ignored her and opened the refrigerator's door and peeked inside. I wasn't hungry but it was a good excuse to look busy to avoid talking to her. A midnight snack might do me some good anyways.

"What're you doing up so late?" I stuck my hand into the back of the refrigerator, looking for something good to devour. My hand closed on the milk carton that was wedged way in the back.

"Hello?" Natalie prompted. She leaned against the counter and crossed her arms, waiting for me to answer her. I took my time pulling out the milk carton by first removing everything that stood in the way of it, which was just some leftover take-out boxes from like a week ago.

"You know, Will, you can't ignore me for the rest of your life." I can and I will, I thought to myself. The milk carton was finally free for me to grab. I reached my hand inside to grab it and took it out. "I'm going to ask you one more time. What're you doing up at two in the morning?"

With my hand and head still in the fridge taking my sweet time, I said, "What, is there a law that I can't get up at night to get a snack?"

She continued talking. "You can't blame me for giving you those pills. You really have no right to be mad at me." That did it. I slammed the fridge shut and whirled around and stared at her incredulously. She gave me a blank expression.

"I have no right?" I stared back at her. "Are you fucking serious?" My jaw clenched and then unclenched. I could literally feel the fire begin to spread from my stomach into my chest. Shit, keep it together, Will, I mumbled to myself in my head. The fire inside me was at the point where I knew I was about to lose control.

She waited for me to go on.

"I can't believe you, Natalie!" I said, shaking my head at her. "You can't just drug me and then act like nothing ever happened!"

"It's not drugging if you were supposed to take those pills in the first place." she countered.

"You did it without my consent!"

"I don't need your consent to give you something you were supposed to be taking!" she yelled back at me.

"Don't you think I would have taken them if I wanted to?" I screamed back at her.

She didn't say anything. Heavy silence hung between us like a thick fog. It was hard to see who had won the fight.

Finally, I spoke up again. "You know, I'm not even the one who needs to be drugged to be controlled! I'm not the fucking maniac who goes around murdering innocent people for no reason! You killed Maddy," my voice turned into a whisper when her name came out of my lips without me thinking.