Chapter 8 - Back Again

Will's POV

It was dark by the time I had returned to my house. Kaylee had offered me to stay over at her house, but I denied politely. I didn't want her to see what happened to me at night. She would probably change her mind about me then.

Making sure that my parents were asleep by then, which I was pretty sure they were because it was already around one in the morning, I sneaked up the stairs, one hand creeping along on the wall to keep balance, the other holding my wet snow shoes.

I held my breath as I crept up each step of the way, hoping it wouldn't creak, because my parents were just that sensitive.

Finally inhaling oxygen through my nose after the stair obstacle was out of the way, I reached my hand out in the dark to push my door open, but then I noticed light coming from underneath my door and froze, wondering who was in there, because my parents had long given up about visiting me.

I heard slight hiccups that sounded like someone had been crying, but for god's sake, this was fucking my damn room, not Cry in My Room Land.

I pushed the door open without trying to even bother keeping quiet and the loud sound coming from the slam of the door, echoed throughout the room, making the person jump.

"Who the fuck..." I began, when the girl turned around and I was met with the unforgettable blue eyes. The hand still holding onto the doorknob tightly began to tremble, and I forced my fingers to let go of it. I didn't even know why I was so surprised. She always did say she would find me again.

The room was still dark when she said, "Hey Will,"

I stopped breathing again. I hated how she could do that to me.

"Will-" she began.

"Why the fuck are you doing this to me?" My hands ran through my hair and I teared at it.

"Will, it's-"

"For the best, yeah? Well, I don't fucking buy that shit anymore." I snapped at her.

"What do you buy then?" she countered angrily. She picked herself up off my bed and walked towards the door.

I was desperate now. "Why are you leaving?" I asked softly, biting my lip, waiting for her to answer what I had been wondering all along.

She sighed and glanced at my room one final time before saying, "You're too dangerous now, Will. One of these days you're going to hurt someone. Maybe it'll be a stranger, or maybe a friend, or maybe me. But don't worry," She paused by the door and offered me one last smile, "I'll find you again one day." Then she turned on her heel and walked out the door. My fists were shaking with anger as her footsteps disappeared from the stairs and the front door opened and then closed. And then she was gone - that was two years ago.

I leaned against the door and drew in a shaky breath, staring at her again; wondering if this was real or not. I smacked at myself, wishing I would wake up from this nightmare. Or maybe it was a dream. I couldn't decide which.

I hit myself harder this time before she spoke again, "Will, stop. Stop hurting yourself."

I dug my fingernails into my skin. Why was she here?

I walked towards her carefully and slowly sat down on the edge of my bed with her. The warmth vibrating off her skin was enough to make me realize for sure that she was here after all. With me. So close but yet so far.

I watched as she fiddled with her fingers, the one habit I missed the most about her. My heart was still beating abnormally, still not believing that she was here. She was here.

Finally I reached over to her neck and she flinched, eliciting a bitter laugh from me. "I'm not going to kill you, you know?"

She sighed and said, "I know,"

I shook my head and then my fingers found their way back to her neck and took hold of the necklace she was wearing, with a key dangling in the middle of it.

I laughed. It was my house key. "Was this how you got in?"

She relaxed and nodded with a small smile, then looked away. Why she was avoiding her gaze at me, I didn't know.

By the time she spoke again, my eyes were already adjusted to the dark. I could make out my messy room, and the wet shoes I had dropped on the floor when I came in.

"Will," her voice cracked, and she began crying all over again. She began rambling right then, "I am so sorry. I didn't know what I was thinking, and it's been two years already, and god, I am so stupid. I missed you so much and I-" My fingers wrapped around hers and she stopped talking, sneaking a glance at our hands in the dark.

I gave her hand a small squeeze before saying, "Come here," I patted my lap.

She reluctantly crawled into my lap, and I put my arms around her, almost forgetting how love worked.

It was strange, having another human being, being in my arms again. I hadn't been touched like this since the day she decided to take off. And it was nice, feeling this again.

Her smooth fingers trailed up and down my arm, and for once, I was thankful that it was dark, and almost impossible to see anything. No scars, no cuts, no bruises, no tears, no nothing.

I rocked her gently in my lap and she leaned on my chest. I wanted to be angry with her for everything she had done to me, but I was tired and afraid that she would go again. And then I'd be all alone again.

"What have you been up to without me?" There was a playful tone to her voice, but I knew it was more than that. She wanted to know what my relations with everyone was. If someone else wanted me, if I had been getting into more fights, throwing more fists at people, cussing some more. That was her weakness, always wanting to know everything revolving around me. But her strength was being able to keep her promises—by coming back to me as she said she was. But I wasn't so sure if I wanted that anymore. I used to, but things were different now. She was the one who wanted to leave in the first place; she wasn't in charge of me anymore.

I smirked in the dark. "Everything."

She finally laughed a real laugh, and it warmed my heart despite the cold.

"I've missed you so much, you know?" she whispers, playing with my fingers. Maybe my heart, too.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." I replied, and she closed her eyes as I brought her down gently onto my bed with my arms securely wrapped tightly around her.

She shifted so that she was lying on my arm as a pillow, and fell asleep quickly; mumbling sleepily, something that sounded like, "Love you." Or maybe I was dreaming and hoping so much that my brain was playing games with me.

I closed my eyes, too, and sad softly back to her, "I love you, too."

At that moment I didn't care if she heard me or not anymore, because I was already dreaming up a million things to put on a list of what I wanted to do with her tomorrow, none that for some reason included Kaylee, and almost forgetting that there was someone outside my window watching me.

~A/N: Who do you think this mystery girl is of Will's past? Please VOTE, COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS, AND FOLLOW! Thanks!

~Forever_Yours_Too