Chapter 12 - Snowballs

Will's POV

I pulled my coat off the hook and slipped my feet into the worn out shoes on the ground. Opening the coat, I slipped one arm through the arm hole, and just as my other hand did the same with the other arm hole, Natalie's lips were at my ear.

"Hey baby," Her lips kissed my ear, and her arms wrapped around my waist.

I turned around slowly and managed a fake smile so that she wouldn't suspect anything.

"Hey," I smiled.

She frowned at me as I finished shrugging the whole coat on. "Where are you going?"

"Out," I replied.

She smirked. "Obviously, but where?"

"Um," I paused, trying to think up a good lie. "Grocery shopping," I replied. Her frown deepened, and I quickly continued with, "But I'll be back soon." I pulled her by the waist over and kissed her nose, adding a quick, "Love you," before twisting the doorknob to let myself out.

The cold biting wind hit me hard in the face as I stepped out, closing the door behind me. I took in a deep breath and exhaled, finally feeling like I could breathe in what felt like days. These past few days I had felt like I was going to suffocate on my own breath and drown in my thoughts. Natalie had been all over me, but all I could think about was Kaylee. It was wrong, I knew that much, but nothing felt right when Natalie's hand brushed mine or when she kissed me. But I think I've known that for a while. Still, I couldn't bring myself to leave.

As I walked, my fingers rubbed against themselves, trying to keep warm, but finally, numbness took over, and I pulled my hands out of my pockets. Cupping them together, I brought them to my lips, and I tried to generate enough heat, before I exhaled it all out into my hands.

I really wished that I had brought my gloves out with me.

As I walked on, going by house after house, I finally found the familiar path, and making sure that there was no one around, I slipped around the corner and disappeared behind the trees.

I slowed down my pace as I walked down the steep, slippery snow. I couldn't wait until it was spring again. I missed the sun on my face and the warm water rushing through the creek. When I reached the bottom, my eyes darted around, looking for the familiar red hair. Finally, my eyes made contact with her, and I slowly and quietly walked over towards her.

Kaylee was sitting close to the creek, her arms wrapped around herself. Her hair covered her face and she had already grabbed the blanket from the hiding spot and set it out on the ground. I was about to call her name when I decided against it and an idea popped into my head.

I couldn't help but smirk. Moving slowly, but quietly, I crept over towards her, and threw my hands onto her shoulders.

Kaylee jumped, not expecting me, but no sound escaped her. And suddenly I felt bad, because I had my own reasons to. But then I laughed when I saw her bewildered expression. I took a seat down next to her.

But not before I was greeted by a cold snowball in the face. Instinctively, I closed my eyes and fell back slightly by the force of the snowball, but regained my balance quickly.

I leaned on my hands for a moment and murmured, still with my eyes closed, "Kaylee...?" My fingers wandered behind my back and dug hard into the snow.

I opened my eyes and Kaylee smiled.

My phone buzzed and I pulled it out.

1 new message

Kays: You have snow on your eyelashes.