Chapter 17 - A Little Too Not Over You

Kaylee's POV

The doorbell rang.

I set down the pan I had been using to cook my breakfast and wiped my hands down on the white apron I was wearing.

I walked over to the front door, but before I opened it, I quickly fixed my hair and unlocked the door.

Immediately after seeing who was at the door I tried to slam the door, leaning my body weight against it, but he had already wedged his shoe through the door. I was surprised the door didn't crush his toes.

Ayden.

"Open up!" he yelled, banging his hand on the door and shouting through the door. I shook my head even though he couldn't necessarily see me. A crashing sound sounded outside and I heard him cuss. "Shit!" But he seemed to forget about it a second later, because he was back to pounding on the door, and this time, because his hands had nothing in them, he pushed against the door as well.

A second later, the door was shoved open and I whipped myself around only to find myself face to face with him. I was breathing heavily from trying to keep the door closed, but he seemed nonchalant. He grinned and picked up the box he had dropped from before and shoved it into my hands.

My hands dropped with the weight of the box but it stayed in my hands. I shuffled it into a more comfortable position and watched as Ayden left the house and came back in with two other boxes. The way he carried it made it look like it weighed nothing.

He came in sideways to fit through the door. Ayden kept walking until he reached the kitchen, dropping the heavy boxes down on the counter. He turned around only to find me staring. He blew a piece of hair out of his face.

"What?" he asked.

"What are you doing?" I mouthed at him. He stared back at me for a minute, then he burst out laughing randomly.

He moved closer to me and put his hands on my arms. He looked down at me. "Moving in, of course."

I moved to say something but he cut me off almost immediately and asked, "Where's the bathroom?"

I frowned but pointed my finger in the direction of the bathroom, which was upstairs. He nodded and pulled off his jacket, slinging it over the kitchen chair and left, calling over his shoulder, "You should start unpacking for me." I could hear the smirk in his voice.

I dropped the box he had handed me before almost immediately after he left. I was about to leave it there, when something caught my eye.

I bent down and removed the shirts that were piled above each other, setting it next to the box. When I had removed everything on top, a covered box sat in the middle. I fingered the box, playing with it without opening it. I never meant to open it, but the top slipped out of my fingers and left the contents wide open.

I stared.

I could almost imagine the sound of my breath leaving me when I took the smaller box out of the bigger one and held it in my hands. Cash laid in neat rolls tied into small bundles of twenties. And beside it laid something shiny and black. Quickly glancing back at the bathroom door which was still locked, I pulled the gun out and touched it, closing the box as I did so.

I must've been staring at it for hours, because I could already hear Ayden in the bathroom washing his hands or whatever he was doing inside because the faucet was running from what I could hear. I stared at the gun in my hand and then back at the bathroom door. It was now or never.

I had never actually seen or held a gun in real life. But I knew if I didn't empty it now, I didn't want to know what would happen later. Using my knowledge from all the shows and movies I had seen, I somehow got the bullets to trickle into my hand. I closed my hand. The bullets felt cold inside my hand.