Chapter 24 - Payback

Will's POV

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.

I couldn't focus at all. The sound of the clock ticking blended in with Dr. Joseph's meaningless words. Wild thoughts of this morning ran through my head and several times I found myself pinching myself to try to make myself focus. It wasn't until he mentioned her name that I finally snapped back to reality.

"So how have you and Natalie been?" he looked at me innocently and leaned back against his chair, folding his hands together on his lap.

I studied him closely, thinking about Natalie and her lying, drugging, and manipulating before snapping, "I'm great. She's great. We're fantastic." Dr. Joseph only gave me a strange look and then nodded.

"I'm glad to hear that. You know what else I'm glad for?" He set his glasses on the top of his head and smiled.

"No."

"Did you know that Natalie stopped by the other day? She was here to-" I cut him off almost immediately.

"What for?" I tried to sound nonchalant, like I could care less, but anything that involved Natalie could never be good. I could only think of one thousand and one reasons why she was here. None of them resulted in happy thoughts. My fingernails dug into my closed palm as I waited for his answer.

His smile was clearly fading away but he ignored my outburst and answered casually. "She was here to refill your medication. I'm so proud that you have finally decided to start taking them." He seemed like he was in the midst of saying more, but I cut him off again.

"When?" My voice came out flatter than usual.

"Just two days ago." His eyes narrowed at me and he pulled his glasses back off his head and onto his eyes. "Is there a problem?" I counted backwards in my mind. One week ago, more or less, I found the pill bottle half full. But if she came for a refill...

I suddenly felt sick.

I stood up quickly to leave, but ended up falling right back into my chair when something that felt like electricity ran through my head the same time I felt a cramp-like feeling in my stomach.

"Will, are you alright?" Dr. Joseph looked up from his notes to see me wincing and pressing a hand into the side of my stomach.

"Yeah, fine," I grunted and got up again, slower this time. "I need some fresh air," I mumbled before making it out the door. For some reason, instead of exiting the building, I aimed for the elevators around the corner and impatiently jabbed at the elevator button. My head felt like mush, and even though it wasn't the world's smartest idea, I pulled out a cigarette and a lighter from my coat pocket.

"Excuse me," the lady at the counter called after me as I stuck the cigarette between my teeth. "You can't smoke in the lobby." Her voice faded as I stepped into the elevator and the doors closed shut. By the time my cigarette was clumsily lit, I was already making my way towards the balcony.

Smoking a cigarette didn't help my stomachache or my headache. It probably made it worse but by this point, I couldn't care less. My life was a mess. Louis was mad at me for all the right and wrong reasons. Harry was back against all odds. I didn't even know where that left Chance. Natalie was up to her old tricks again and I hadn't even talked to her after I had found out about her drugging me. Ayden hadn't come after me in a while, but I didn't know whether to feel relieved or not. And Kaylee... I didn't even know where to begin with her. I hadn't even seen or heard from her after her birthday party which was weeks ago. She was never outside in the therapy waiting room either anymore. It was like she had ceased to exist in my life. And after everything that Brandon had said to me that night, it left me wondering just how well I actually knew Kaylee.