Chapter 19 - Numb

Kaylee's POV

It was close. Almost too close.

My heart was pounding as I ran the last block of the way home. I was just lucky enough that I left fast enough that he didn't get a chance to ask any questions.

So close.

I could feel my lungs collapsing as I lunged up the porch stairs to my house and fumbled with the door, trying to unlock it. Finally the door unlocked and I shoved it open.

I turned away from the door slowly, expecting to find Ayden waiting for me, but instead he seemed distracted by the show he was watching on the television. I walked slowly over, wondering what he was so caught up in.

As I walked closer I could see him lounged on my couch, his long legs spread across the couch with his feet resting on top of the armchair. A bowl of popcorn rested on his lap as he chewed away, eyes glue to the screen. He didn't even acknowledge me when I was in his view.

I could see he was watching football now. It was Friday Football anyways.

"Where were you last night?" he finally asked, glancing up at me for a second before deciding I wasn't worth his time and returning his attention back to the game.

I didn't answer.

"Fine." he said. I didn't know how long I stood there until he asked me another question.

"Don't you have therapy in twenty minutes?" I glanced quickly at the clock into the corner of the room. I nodded, not questioning how he knew that.

"I expect you back in two hours." he said simply. "Do you have a watch?" I shook my head, and was about to pull out my phone to show him I could just check the time there, but instead he pulled the watch he was wearing off his wrist and threw it at me.

I barely caught it before it fell to the ground. It looked expensive, too. I glanced at Ayden, wondering where he got it from and he replied, smirking.

"Stole it," he grinned, reading my mind. "Poor guy didn't even notice it was missing."

I nodded slowly, feeling even more uncomfortable, and made my way back over to the front door. But before I could make it out the door, he called over the loud cheering of the fans from the TV and repeated, "Two hours." He held up two of his fingers and I opened the door and walked out.

My heart walked faster than my feet as I made my way over to the therapy building. It was only supposed to be a ten minutes walk, but today seemed to take longer than it usually did. And I found myself constantly staring at the watch. The watch he handed me was strange. It wasn't the regular kinds that just read the time, instead it was like a timer, counting down from 120. Two hours.

To be honest, I wasn't even sure how I made it through the front door of the building without knowing it and down the hallway.

I was just outside the door when I heard the conversation drifting out.

"Tell me, Will, honestly, how have you been?"

"Fine." he answered coolly. There was no emotion in his voice.

"How am I supposed to do my job if you won't even talk to me?" I could hear Dr. Joseph sighing in frustration.

There was silence on Will's side.

Then there was a sound of a clearing throat and then, "Today's appointment is over. Don't forget to take your meds, though."

The sound of a chair was pushed back and I started to back up against the wall behind me so that I wouldn't be in his way when he got out, but he was faster, and a second later, the door swung open and we were face to face.