Hour 18

I just want out. Out of this hell. Out of this pain. Out of this life. Right now, I just want out.

My health teacher, Mr. Tyson, always called it the invincibility effect. We see this kinda stuff the news and we just sit there and watch it. We never think it will happen to us.

I'm sure that's what Anna thought too.

And it seems like that's what's about to happen to me too. And now she dead...

I never thought I would actually die, but that's what's happening to me right now. I mean, there is literally blood dripping out of my mouth. I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

I'm also pretty sure that's what Cole and Grant were starting to realize. Bryant refuse to even look at me.

I don't blame him either. I was in pretty rough shape. Besides the blood, my hair was covered in a layer of grease, and a my skin had turned from the normal tan-ish color to a very, very pale color.

We all sat against the row of cabinets in the Chem classroom. I sat on Cole's lap, resting my head against his shoulder.

There was no window in the classroom, but I could tell it was raining outside. I love when it rains. The best is when it's just a drizzle. It still smells like rain. It's still raining, but it wasn't so bad that if you were to go outside you'd get soaked.

And the puddles!

I love the puddles. Over the summer, whenever it would rain Grant and I open the door and just watch the rain fall. Then, once the rain would slow to a drizzle, Grant and I run out of the house in bare feet and would run, jump, and splash in the puddles of mud and water. We'd come in covered from head to toe in mud and cold. It was all worth it though.

I miss that.

I shake my head.

"What's wrong?" Cole asks.

"Nothing," I respond.

"Come on, I know something's wrong," Cole nags.

"It's raining outside," I whisper.

He silently listens to the pitter-patter of the rain outside the school.

"Oh yeah, it is. Do you just hate the rain?" Cole jokes.

"I love it," I state. "I bet it's drizzling right now. If this was any other Saturday, Grant and I would be on a high right now. Splashing and jumping in puddles of mud. If it's pouring though, we'd be sitting with the front door wide open with a bag of chips. We'd just be watching it."

"Sounds nice." He was genuine.

"It would be."

We sat in silence for a few minutes just listening.

"I hope one day that will be you and me," he smiles.

"If we make it out of here," I mumble, quietly so Cole couldn't hear.