Hour 22

I run down hallway after hallway looking for a certain group of boys that didn't have guns.

I turn the right corner to bump into a tall male. I take a step back in fear, but it wasn't a man with a gun. It was Cole fricken Stevens. And let me tell you, I've never been happier to see him.

"What the hell?!" I nearly scream.

"I'm guessing I don't get a hug," he sighs.

I stare up at him. I squint my eyes and tilt my head in thought.

"No, you asshole," I reply through gritted teeth.

"Come on, Sam. You don't mean that," Cole smiles.

"Oh... I do," I snap. He rolls his eyes. "But that's beside the point! I found a way out."

Next thing we know, we're in the computer lab. Thank god, Bryant took computer programming with me.

I watch carefully over his shoulder. He suddenly stops typing.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"You finish," Bryant says.

"Why can't you?" I ask.

"I've killed people today," he say dryly, avoiding eye contact.

"I'm pretty sure I did too," I sigh.

"No!" he shouts. "There were 3 gunmen. You only know of 2. I'm the 3rd." He starts crying.

"How many?" I ask.

"Sam-" Cole starts.

"How many, Bryant?!" I yell.

"Not a lot," he answers. "I'm sorry." He's completely sobbing.

"It's okay," I say barely above a whisper. I was even surprised by my reaction. I wanted to shoot him, but I didn't I stayed calm. "It's okay, Bryant."

"Am I going to jail?" he asks.

"Probably," I answer, "But maybe they'll give you bail or time out for good behavior. You don't deserve to. You were just dragged along. I'm not going to let it happen."

"I really am sorry," he sobs.

"I know you are. I forgive you- We forgive you. Everything's going to be okay," I whisper.

"I don't deserve to live," he cries.

"And neither do I," I whisper. He looks up to meet my eyes. "But the world keeps spinning anyways." I turn in my chair. "He didn't do it. He was with us the whole time. He didn't kill a soul and we don't tell one. Understand?"

Grant and Cole nod in reply.

"I really am sorry, Sam," he apologizes.

"We forgave you," I smile. "Now get us out of here before I change my mind."

He laughs along with me. I pat his shoulder.

"There we go, boy. Keep going. I'm tired and bleeding out," I sigh.