Reunion

No money, no home, no family, no Leia. Life wasn't fair and Bail hated it. It had been sixteen years now since his and Breha's beloved daughter had left home to help make a difference for the rebellion. Sixteen years since the somber guards had come to report the destruction and death of the Tantive IV's crew and captain, of Leia. Sixteen years since he'd shaken his head, tears rushing down his cheeks, and he took his wife's hand, racing for their private freighter, refusing to believe it. Sixteen years since they'd left in search for her to be survivors of the planet they'd never meant to abandon. Sixteen years since they'd given up and allowed to be transported to Delaya, the only refuge for the remaining Alderaanians.
  At Bail's side sat Breha. When he looked to her, she offered a weak smile, squeezing his hand for comfort. He squeezed back, turning his gaze out the viewport as the ship landed, rocking a bit before it settled. An audible sigh of relief was released from all the other passengers as well and they waited in tired anticipation for the captain to come back. In typical Corellian swagger, he strode into the back cabin and waved to them. "Alright," he said. "We made it. Now, let's all proceed in an orderly fashion, if you don't mind. There are people outside who will show you to your new homes. And a line for food. We'll be sure to get to everybody. Thank you for your patience."
  The couple got up from their seats and waddled out with everyone else, only slightly eager to be given a home that won't really ever feel like home. Once they made it off the freighter's landing ramp, they were handed a pair of new clothes and pointed to a lunch line. The food was much better than Bail had imagined they would be given and he and Breha hurried to one of the tables set up in the barren field to eat. Around them, the other refugees conversed lightly, unalarmed by the Queen and Viceroy around as they were all on the same level now, all refugees, all poor having lost something.
  The two ate in silence until they heard children's laughter nearby. A few children came running to their table, two boys and a girl. The girl stopped before Bail and said to him, "Sir, me and my brothers were playing and we lost our parents. Have you seen our mom?"

  Bail faltered a moment before he could respond. The girl, small in stature, had big, round, brown eyes just like his own Lelila and the more he thought about it, the more apparent all their other facial similarities became. It hurt. So, Bail shook away the memories and told her, "I'm sorry, dear. I wish I knew who your parents are, but I don't."
  The little girl giggled at this and told him, "I'm sure you do. All the Alderaanians do. You don't know the princess?"
  "The princess?" Breha repeated.
  The girl nodded. "Yeah. Prince-"
  "Jaya!" a voice suddenly cut through the conversation and the three siblings spun around to see a woman running to them. Bail couldn't catch a glimpse of her face; she had her face buried in her children's hair as soon as they were in her arms. "Jasa, Anakin, what did I tell you three about running around? I need to be able to see you."
  Bail and Breha met the woman to make sure the kids were leaving in safe hands and Bail said to her, "I take it you're these kids' mother?"

  "Yes, thank you." She rose to her feet, swiping her hair past her ear as she continued, "I'm really sorry. I-" she stopped, now looking Bail in the eyes. "Daddy?"