Need To Know

Dialogue Prompt:
"Is this one of those times you want me to lie to protect your delicate emotions?"
----------------------
  Kyp needed to know. Maybe, he'd ask only to get dumped on his butt and hate himself even more, but, as he saw it, it was worth the risk. Besides, what if she answered 'yes'? What if he never asked her, but she would have told him 'yes'? He had to ask her, needed to know even if it killed him. He loved her too much not to ask.
  Walking briskly, one arm swinging, the other carrying a long stemmed midnight blue flower, he strode on his way to where Jaina was hiding, working on her X-Wing's repairs. He stopped at the foot of the ladder on which she was perched and cleared his throat loudly to grab her attention. He heard the klink of a tool being tossed aside and then Jaina looked down to him. "May I help you?"
  "Jaina, do you love me?"
  A laugh crept up her throat, transformed into a guffaw, and she doubled over, laughing. "Are you kidding?"
  "I asked you a yes or no question. Do you mind answering with one of those choices?"
  Jaina nodded, sliding down the ladder to speak with him. "Is this one of those times you want me to lie to protect your delicate emotions?"
  Kyp took a breath. "No." He stared her in her beautiful big eyes.
  Jaina sighed, looked away. "Fine. Here's your answer, Kyp: no."
  Kyp simply nodded, stifling his hurt down because this was no new information. He considered it, forced himself to, more of a confirmation of something he already figured. "Okay. That was all I needed to know." Briskly, he turned and walked away. He ignored the pain, ignored the sting that was growing. He could still live, knowing this. He'd lived this long, watching the Goddess from afar.
--------------
  Jaina sighed, watching Kyp briskly walk away. Should she have answered differently? Spared him the pain. Let him have his fantasies. What was so wrong with that? Jaina supposed she'd never know more because she hadn't dared . . . to tell him the truth.