When I Found Out My Mother's Secret

AN: Currently running through lists of writing prompts.
Going through Pinterest, this one merely said, 'when I found out my mother's secret'.
P.S. this is in Jaina Solo's POV
----------------
  I consider it a secret. She never told me, did she? It was her closely guarded secret and, yet, I should have known. When I discovered my mother's secret, we finally understood each other. All the years of strain between us, all the years of misunderstanding and contempt vanished, dissipated. The haze that had settled between us dropped like a heavy curtain and I could finally run into her arms and find comfort. I'd found a haven.
  I found out her little secret while joining my parents on an off-world mission to New Alderaan. Alright, I suppose it was more of a trip than a mission. We met Winter,who was thrilled to see me again after so long, there. "My goodness, you're not so little anymore!" she'd exclaimed, throwing out her arms as an invitation for a hug. This being Winter who had practically raised me, I flew into her arms, just as happy to be seeing her again. From the corner of my eye, though, I caught the light and almost forced looking smile Mom was wearing. I tried to shake it off, but there was something about it that bothered me.
  We joined Winter and her husband Tycho for some caf at their place, enjoying some light conversation while Winter continued to marvel at how much I've apparently grown and she kept asking what I've been up to since we'd last talked. She wanted to know everything and, with every question Winter asked and each time she'd settle a hand on my knee or shoulder or sweep my bangs past my ears, I could feel Mom's discomfort growing through the Force, becoming denser than a horrible fog on Yavin. I tried ignoring it, but it almost turned to irritation when Winter started showing me a picture of the two of us and Jacen when we lived with her here on New Alderaan. Mom grimaced.
  Finally, I had had enough and I spun on her, demanding, "What on Coruscant is wrong?!" She looked taken aback and everyone else had gone silent, but Mom and I held each other's gaze. "Would you please stop tossing that look and tell me what's bothering you?" She didn't say anything. Her eyes flicked with a stab of pain, but I had no idea from what. But why? She ran from the room and Winter slowly stood to hold my shoulders and tell me, "I think you should go talk to her. I may have . . ." She suddenly let go of my shoulders and winced. "Played with a sore spot. Look, Jaina, your mother had a tough time handing you and your brothers into my care when you were younger. I should have known better than to . . . revert back to treating you like my daughter. You aren't my daughter. Your mom," Winter laughs, half nervously, half fondly. "She did the hard things for you three. She handed you over to me. It was awful for her. She hated it. She could hardly physically let you go when it was time." Winter gains a small smile at a wondrous memory as she tells me, "She cried. I'd never seen her cry before, but there she was. Bawling."
  I consider it a secret. She never told me, did she? It was her closely guarded secret and, yet, I should have known. She's always cared for me, always loved me. Like Winter said, she did things the hard way because she knew it was best for us, her being apart from us. I finally understood and I could share that pain with her. When I found out my mother's secret, she became my best friend.