Why Did You Kiss Me?

There is one thing to hate an enemy and there is another of liking that so called enemy. In this case, it was both.

We were seated beside each other. And I couldn't help but feel a little on edge. It was as if my nerves were pricked. He was seated in his seat at a good distance, but he was far too close for my comfort. Yet I wanted him closer. This was confusing and irritating. I tried to stare at my food and bring back my appetite. But I felt the bile come up in my throat. Yep, it was definitely working.

I hate him, I hate him, I hate him, I chanted in my mind, hoping that would help me to enjoy my meal. I don't like the Black Diamonds Pack, they killed too many people.

"But he is hot."

My teeth clamped down on my bottom lip, filling my mouth with a metallic taste. Blood. The bile rose dangerously high in my throat. My wolf was getting out of control. I was just happy I didn't say that out loud. She could get very intense sometimes. I wondered what was getting her so rowdy tonight. Probably she hated this dinner too. But if that was the case, why would she say Victor Jr was cute? I glanced his way, curious to see what was his expression as I took up my glass of wine. His expression was the same as it was before, guarded and blank. Sometimes, I wish I could have that talent or control. No matter what, I could never have an expressionless face. The most I have ever held that facade was for a second before laughing at my brother splattered in chocolate. It was only a year ago. I then felt a little disappointed that I haven't seen my brother in such a long time. He was now too busy being an Alpha. Or at least, soon to be. That piqued my interests about Mr. Mysterious. Wasn't he supposed be the next Alpha? Being the only child and all. I turned to him  after the adults chuckled at some joke Dad said.

"So, Victor, when will you be the Alpha?" I asked sweetly, well as best as I could. It might be sarcastic. By the look on his face, it was definitely the latter. But I didn't see what was offensive in that.

Before he could say anything beyond the message he was sending me through his narrowed dark eyes, his father spoke for him.

"Well, yes," his father's eyes were now shining with pride. I tried not to roll my eyes at him, but I was too focused on retaining my wolf. She was not getting pass my wall again. "As a matter of fact, next week on his nineteenth birthday he will be the Alpha."

"Congratulations, my boy," my father said, looking right at the guy beside me. I wondered when he became his boy. But I jolted out of my reverie when I felt his foot lightly tease mine. My heart immediately picked up pace and I glanced his way to see him nod in my father's direction, as if he didn't just electrocute my foot. Probably The Black Diamonds Pack was dealing with witchcraft. Yep, I figured it out. "It must be good to know you will be an Alpha on your birthday. And even better, Lovely's birthday is just in a few weeks and we are celebrating by having a party. Hope you are mated soon. A pack needs its Luna."

I raised an eyebrow at my mother and she shrugged. How the hell did I not hear about any of this 'party'? And how was that "even better"? I didn't understand how my birthday came into the mix. Giving Dad my attention, I realized he was on a roll.

Oh, God, I groaned, putting my head in the palm of my hands and I couldn't care less about table manners. This is not going to be good.

I just wanted to shout in his face to stop talking before he said something stupid. But sadly, there are times when people don't read your facial expressions and do the dumbest things. The irony is, when I don't want anyone to know how I am feeling, that's the time they read my facial expressions. Yeah, I have the best life.

"Well, that's good George," Alpha Victor said with a grin, seeming to enjoy that particular conversation. Like really? What was so interesting about that? "Finally seventeen. Excited I see, Lovely."