Family Bond

Dawn.

Light begins to break and then another beauty is born.

Dusk.

When night becomes the new day.

I was never a music fan, but I was here surrounded by the instruments that created it. Memories of happier times cross my mind. Me annoying my father with some off key song and then when I found myself embarrassed, he told me I was the most beautiful singer in the world which was why the rain fell and not what my torturous cousin had told me. I felt so smug at her as she looked at my dad in disbelief that he would tell such a lie, but it was a lie that had me smiling. To be honest, my Dad and I weren't very close. Worse with my mother. We co-existed with a relationship that wasn't strained. We knew each other, lived together but were never really close.

"I'm going to leave for a short while," I turned to see Victor watching me critically, his eyes somewhat shifting under my gaze. I softened my features, smiling because I knew he was concerned. I don't blame him. For too long I have been feeling nothing like myself. Everything seems just a way to pass the time. My gaze barely registering anything but him. Is this a sign of wanderlust? Should I move away from here? "Did you hear me?"

With his dark shirt in view, I found myself doing the only thing that seemed to bring back some sort of feeling in me these days; my face nestled into his chest. Warmth, hard yet soft was all it took to make me feel like me again.

But he wasn't holding me.

"If I hold you now, I am not gonna want to let you go and I need to leave for a few days," he said, seeming to read my thoughts. Literally. There was nothing between us these days. I couldn't recall when either of us had put up our walls. "It will have to be for a few days, and I know you haven't been yourself lately but you need to be in charge."

I rubbed my cheek against his soft cotton shirt, purring from within. Holding on of his hands, I looked at it with deep curiosity.

"Why is this meeting with the Alaska pack so urgent for you to be going again?" My voice muffled in his shirt, but I knew he heard my question clearly.

"It's due to the winter storms that blew in and besides, I need to ensure some young pups move to that area," he answered. "The wolves there aren't exactly fresh buds anymore and I can't afford to have my territory taken over by someone who saw that weak link."

"Aren't they reproducing?" I continued as I traced the length of each finger. Was that his breath I heard catch? Boy, was he getting warm. I grinned.

"Not nearly enough," he said aloof.

"Is that why you are also having your Beta tagging along?" He seemed surprised by my question. "Am I not to ask?"

"He is mainly as a back up in case we get attacked, but maybe I should let him be in charge," I raised an eyebrow at that as I moved away from his chest. He gave me a sheepish look before using his other hand to bring me back to his chest. "I mean, for you to have an extra helping hand...to help you but you would always be in charge."

Was he scared I would not function without him? I have been acting that way, haven't I? But I wasn't incapable. Never. A Luna will always be a resilient woman that can hold her own, no pun intended. I scoffed then. But how do I say that without appearing hurt?

"Elongate your nail," I commanded and he did it without question. How easily he could turn to beast. How easily I could kill myself with just one claw. Kissing it, I then rested my chin on his chest as I looked up at him. "I am not human and neither are you so you should know I will be fine. Beasts we were born, not humans. That will never change no matter how we act or behave."