Do You See What I See?

The elation of being in the sky was a good kick to my regularly sulky system. I kind of enjoyed it, being high above the rest. It sent my veins pumping with some unknown fuzzy feeling and my wolf never once uttered a sound. She might be a big bad wolf, but she was a scaredy cat at heights and that just added to the appeal of being high in the sky.

I grinned at my brother beside who smiled back. He seemed awfully happy for a guy who had hated air balloons. I leaned into speak to him for the wind was blowing monstrous and wild that day.

"How did you do it without me realizing?" I asked him and he shook his head at me.

"We all know how your nose only picks up on scents that is food," he messed up my hair childishly. "So I just made sure I or anything I had not smelt like food for us to go undetected."

I shook my head. "I don't mean how you got the air balloons home without me knowing. I already know that," he lifted an eyebrow curiously. "How did you get over your fear of heights?"

His entire body then tensed and I sensed a sudden distance between us. He turned away, glaring up at the balloon above us with misguided contempt. I tried to gauge his expression to know what could cause this reaction. But there was nothing. I guessed he had been away for that long for it seemed I hardly knew him now.

"What happened?" I inquired silently of him.

He still didn't look at me and I felt like he was trying to block me out.

"Hey," I snapped my fingers in front of his face which successfully captured his attention. "I know you heard me doofus!"

He sighed heavily, his posture still rigid and his jaw clenched. What was up with him?

"Let's just say some bad things occurred when I went away," he said gravely, leaving me more puzzled than before.

He moved away from me and went to stand at the other side of the basket, his hands stuffed in his pockets. I shrugged, not wanting to kill the moment. He was so damn moody! Was all Alphas this way?

Sighing heavily, I folded my arms and look out. This was not going to be good. Anymore.

A couple minutes later, my brother turned the air balloon around to home. I was never so happy to come down from an air balloon. And I didn't think I would be going back in one. The day was quickly fading and washing away.

I looked up at the light blue sky with pink shades as the sun sank low behind mountains, orange streaks in all directions. It was such a beauty to see. Enchanting and all. The thing that artists wish they could paint.

This was why my face lit up into a smile even though the wind was blowing my hair into a mess. This was the reason I loved air balloon rides. I really wouldn't want to go on one again though. With my brother.

I still remember the days when we were close. Before being Alpha was so important and popularity was a must. Before I was labelled as a waste of time. Before I stopped feeling like a sister to him. Those days we were best friends. We were brother and sister. I should have known nothing would change. Especially since he had actually become the Alpha. Thinking about it, it was pretty obvious. Why was I always so naive? Was I so horrible at reading men? Just then, a question had popped up in my head to ask him.

"What is your goal in life?" I inquired, turning to face his surprised and puzzled face. "I mean, what are your aspirations?"

He stared at me unblinking for a moment. Even though it seemed better to take back the question, he was going to answer me. I needed to know this. The reason was unknown to me at the moment. But I was never one who acted on reasoning.