Green Looks Good On You

"I still can't believe you thought the older Victor was my mate," I gave Ethan an incredulous look. "The man already has a mate and wife."

"Don't you mean your future father-in-law?" He grinned teasingly while nudging me lightly in my side. I gave him a dirty look.

"Stop that," I snapped and he obeyed, but that stinking smirk was left on his face. "You know, I actually thought getting rid of one would make high school easier to go through. But as long as you are here, it won't be happening."

"Oh, so that means you're wrong," I stopped walking aside him and he stopped also a few steps ahead of me before turning to look at me. Thankfully, that smirk was gone. "Stop acting that way."

He came up to me with a groan and uncrossed my arms that I didn't know was crossed in the first place. He freed my hands since he was at least ten times stronger than me and then wrapped my arms around his narrow waist. Well, his torso to be exact since he was so freaking tall. And it was getting on my nerves. I tried to tug my hands out of his hold and he just tightened his hold. He didn't hurt me though and I didn't have the heart to pretend to wince.

"I am not acting," I mumbled against his solid chest and I felt it expand as he took in a deep breath and it collapsed as he released it. His heart was now a rap song rather than the soft lullaby it was a second before.

I then wondered what he was thinking. It seemed his nervous. But Ethan never got nervous.

"Really? You know I was only joking," he started to massage my shoulders and I wondered why we were doing this in the middle of the parking lot. I saw some kids give us curious looks, but I didn't worry. Everyone knew we were just friends. That was proven especially with a warning from the Alpha, which is my father. Just had to say that. "You just seemed so tense since morning and I get that having the guy apart of a pack that you absolutely loathe to be your mate is quite shocking and probably horrible to you, but I am sure everything will work out."

He whispered that last part and I was happy for that. He really was a good friend. The true meaning of a brother from another mother.

"I can't just leave everything on its own to work out," I told him, putting emphasis on the last two words. "Things don't happen that way. I don't believe in that bull."

He then suddenly cupped my face, forcing me to look up at him and he seemed even more endearing. And mature. His eyes dazzled and probably if I never met Victor I would dare say mesmerizing and breathtaking. But I have met the horrible cocky bastard.

"That's the thing, Lovely," he said as if I should have seen it all along. Yep, he was definitely in shrine mood. If only I could hide something that big from him forever, I wouldn't have opened my big mouth. Being the Alpha's daughter made you a celebrity. And then I was the mate for the Alpha King? That was not going to stay hidden, especially since the sucker made me promise to not reject him. Me and my stupid promises. I really should start breaking them. Ha! Yeah, if that was in me to do. "The more you push it, the more it will tumble. You need to leave it. Mates weren't created by anyone of us and can't be controlled by us. The Moon knows what it's doing."

"Are you speaking from experience, Eth?" I asked with a lifted eyebrow as I moved his hands from my face.

He shrugged as we proceeded to walk towards my car.

"Does ancestral experience count?" He asked and I rolled my eyes at him before we came to halt beside my car.

I turned to face him and his expression immediately went on lock down as if he was bracing for a disaster. I sighed, hating it when he put up his barriers so high up against me. It was really hard to get through to him that way.