Something Was Wrong With This Champagne

"Why can't I let my hair go?" I coughed as Jasmine sprayed something in my hair again. "Is that even necessary?"

She shrugged. "Better to be safe than sorry."

She sprayed again and I felt tears spring to my eyes. My mother rushed to my side.

"Don't you dare cry," my mother commanded me, reminding me of when I was younger and was about to have a fit. "This is not the time to cry. Concealer and blush is not water resistant and I couldn't find the water resistant eyeliner and mascara. So don't you mess up that make up."

I grabbed the spray from Jas and I glared at her. She shrugged again. "I guess I was having too much fun."

"You guess," I retorted, spraying at her and my mother rolled her eyes at us. Jasmine screeched and I cringed.

"Okay, I get it," she said, trying to grab the hair spray from me but I moved it away from her. "Auntie, talk to Lovely."

"Lovely," my mother said in that irritated voice of hers and I rolled my eyes. She really did prefer Jasmine over me. She couldn't deny it. It was so glaring obvious. "Give me the hair spray. We're going to leave now so we can get ready."

I shrugged, giving her the hair spray which in turn she gave Jasmine the spray who stuck her tongue out at me. I kissed my teeth and she scoffed. Thankfully my mother didn't hear less I would be getting more than an earful at this moment.

After being reluctantly lasered, pampered and caked up, I couldn't understand why my mother and cousin thought this was a good look for me. I looked over the top girly. My hair was up in this exotic style that made blinking a difficult task and suddenly I had high cheekbones. Oh, the doe eyes. My big blue eyes looking like some small exotic pools of blue. In order words, I looked completely different. All for some official announcement tonight. I was never in the act of pleasing people which was probably why I still on my bed looking back into the full length mirror. The dinner may have started already anyways and I didn't want to move. Those heels were too high for safe walking.

Just then a knock sounded at the door. I groaned, thinking it was my mother or Jasmine but then I caught his scent. My body reacted to the person behind the door and I already knew who it was.

"Hey," he opened the door a fraction and slipped thoroughly, quickly shutting the door behind. He moved so efficiently and graceful with such a large body, I felt clumsy. "You look...not you."

"Well thanks for pointing out the obvious Mr. Holmes," I rolled my eyes at him and he sat beside me on the bed. "I didn't invite you in you know."

"I don't need an invite," he answered back as he pulled the first pin out of my hair. I sighed in relief. He continued to do that until all my hair tumbled down. He moved my hair to the side to bare my neck to him. The side that had the faint marking. He didn't look at it too long before heading to the bathroom and coming back out with a warm wet towel. I let out another sigh as he pressed the warm towel to my face. "Pleasant isn't it?"

I nodded and he proceeded to wipe every trace of make up my mother carefully applied. The towel was cold by the time he was done and I was pretty sure half an hour had already passed. My stomach then grumbled at that moment. He grinned at me as he dropped the towel to the floor before tucking some strands of hair behind my ear. My stomach clenched at the intimacy and my breath got stuck in my throat.

"I like you better," he said, his lips too close to mine for me not be blushing already. Jeez, no matter how many times I have felt those lips against mine, the prospect of kissing him made my heart beat too fast and ribs hurt. Life was seriously unfair. "When you look like you. I wouldn't have you looking any other way."