#1

[a/n]
i wrote this book over a year ago now, and i regret a lot about it. so little warning, it's v cringe and i'd like to think my writing style has developed since this book. umm, you'll probably be mad at me after reading it all so i apologise in advance. enjoy? -mia

chapter one.

I have always thought the city was fascinating. Only ever visiting it once, when my mother drove us down there, I fell in love with it.

The bright lights, the sea of buildings towering high into the foggy skies, it overwhelmed me in a beautiful way. I remember it hurt my neck to even look up at the tallest buildings but I knew, this was where all the happy people lived. I wanted to be here one day.

It seemed my dream had finally come true, but now it the harsh reality of it all flipped it into a nightmare.

My mother had found a job in the city and we had to say goodbye to our farm and our cottage and all the animals, one by one. It was heartbreaking, and I suddenly started to resent the city for taking away my home.

As if things couldn't possibly get any worse, it was my first day at my new school. A boarding school.

I was full of dread, the anxiety was clawing at me and dragging my will to live right down into the depths of the ocean. My mother thought I was being melodramatic, but no- I was terrified.

I dressed, looking at my stupid reflection in the mirror, I wasn't pretty nor ugly- average with my witchy green eyes and curly mess of hair. I had never been fussed about what people thought about me, now however, I started to give in to the thoughts inside my mind telling me I wasn't good enough.

I couldn't stomach breakfast, even though it was my absolute favourite. I enjoyed the aesthetic of a stack of golden-brown pancakes, dripping with syrup but it made my insides flip and churn at the thought of eating.

The time had come, I dragged myself out of the door and followed my mum to the car, shooting her death glares at every opportunity possible.

She sighed, tucking my hair behind my ear and straightening my top.

"Everything will be fine, sweetie."

My bottom lip quivered a little as I nodded sadly and got into the car, accepting the fact that this was my new life, school was just one hurdle I had to get over. I plugged in my earphones and let the sound of Halsey drown out my worries.

After what seemed like a blink of the eye, we were there. I gazed up at the old-fashioned building, reddish-brown bricks and arched windows scattered across the walls, it was mysteriously captivating. A school you might read about in an old novel.

I tore my gaze away from the school to day goodbye to my mother who was watching me anxiously, I smiled and hugged her tightly.

"Stay out of trouble sweetie." She said softly then got in her car and left me here.

I shivered. It was eerily silent on the school grounds, not quite the colourful depiction I had envisioned, the absence of noise was starting to give me the creeps so I hurriedly clambered up the huge, marble steps and pushed open the oak door.

The school hallway must have been designed by a manic depressive, either that or someone obsessed with grey. The teachers had done their bit, hanging posters with bright colours simply leaking out of them, yet the overall impression was drabness.