Change of plans (6)

The next two weeks, Ryan and I didn't speak. Well, we'd speak but in about three word sentences at the most. "How are you?" He'd ask me in the hall. I'd shrug and say, "OK." Then we'd walk away. Two weeks after our hook-up, I still hadn't gotten my 'friend.' I waited and waited. Gaby didn't have a clue what was going on. She thought things were rought at home so she left me alone. FInally, one day after school, Ryan pulled me outside because he wanted to talk.

"Evelyn." He said softly, not wanting the people around to hear. "Do you know yet? You know, about...?"

I swallowed. This was awkward. "I haven't taken a test yet."

"Well, have you gotten your girl thing?" He asked in return.

"No." I mumbled. "Listen, if you come home with me tonight or one night soon, I'll do a test."

Ryan sighed. "I-I can't, Ev." He looked down. "I have football practice and then a tutor because I'm failing math... You have to understand. I want to be there with you, but I'm busy."

I looked down at the floor as my heart sank. "It's OK, I guess. I'll just run to the drug store after school and get it all over with."

"Great." Ryan smiled. "Let me know as soon as you find out."

I nodded as Ryan started walking away. "Sure thing." I muttered as I started walking to the drug store. It took me about 10 minutes to get there. I nervously walked to the back and looked at the little pregnancy test boxes. I picked out two and walked to the cash register. There was an old lady waiting for me to check out. I handed her my things and she glared at me.

"These for you?" She grumbled. "You teens shouldn't be out getting pregnant." She had a slight forgein accent. Mabye Italian? "Shame on you, child!"

I stood there in awe. Did that really just happen? "Um... yeah..." I said confused. "Sure... Sorry?" I handed her my money and then she shoved the bag with the two pregnancy tests in it at me. "Thank you." I said bitterly as I walked out, forgetting my change.

I walked home in a hurry. I wanted to know the truth. I needed to know the truth. I finally got home, ran up to my bathroom, and took the tests. I peed on the stick thingy and waited for what seemed to be forever. I paced around my room, petted my cat, and turned my fan on and off. I The five minutes were finally over and I almost ran into my bathroom. I flipped over the two tests. I read them to myself at first, then out loud. "Pregnant." I mumbled. "Pregnant." I didn't believe it. There was a pink plus sign. "I... am... pregnant... with Ryn's baby."