Change of plans (13)

Over the next two and a half months of summer, a lot has changed. Ryan and I painted our baby boy's room light blue and fully furnished it. I became exactly seven months pregnant the day Ryan started school. I decided that I wasn't going to attend Senior year with Ryan at a normal high school. Instead, I did online classes over summer and was able to finish a whole semester of 12th grade. Ryan was also a little ahead of the school year and found out that he was able to graduate a few months early. Both of us were super excited about our school situations because most teen parents don't graduate.

On Ryan's first day of school, I got up early with him and made his lunch. Before he left, he kissed me and our unborn baby boy goodbye.

I went into the living room with my cup of coffee and watched TV for about an hour. Then I took a nice shower and got dressed. I curled my hair, put on a nice maternity dress and comfy sandals, and then did my make-up.

I called my dad a few minutes later and asked if he wanted to meet for lunch. Dad said yes and we agreed at meet at T.G.I. Friday's at 1 o'clock.

I got there a little late and dad was already there.

"Sorry, Daddy." I said, sitting down. "I was feeling a little sick but I'm OK now."

"Hi, my babies." Dad said, kissing my cheek. "How are you?"

I smiled. "Not too bad." I replied. "Ryan started school today so I'm a little lonely and sad."

"Isn't it just like he's going to work?" Dad asked glancing at the menu.

I sighed. "He's gone from 7:30 am until 6 pm." I paused. "It's longer than it was over summer."

Dad looked up at me for a minute. "So he's going to school from 7:30 to 3 and then going to work from 3:30 until 6?"

"No." I answered. "School is only until 2:30 and he starts work at 3."

He nodded. "OK."

A few minutes later, the waitress came by and took our orders. Dad and I started talking again.

"So how's my grandson?" He asked smiling.

"Great." I replied. "He's going to be a very big boy."

Dad chuckled. "Yeah, your stomach is kind of huge already."

"And I have another 2 months to go." I added.

He nodded. "Have you and Ryan discussed baby names yet?"

I shook my head. "Actually, now that you mention it, no, we haven't." I paused. "I haven't even really thought about names."

"Usually that's the thing most couples talk about- names." Dad said. "I know that's what mine and your mother's first thoughts were."

I smiled. "How did you come up with the name Evelyn?"

Dad thought for a moment. "Well, we were at this old dinner not to far from our house and it was evening time. Your mother was starving and she inhaled two whole burgers in about ten minutes. We had just learned that you were on the way. And we had this waitress who was a little older. Her name was Evelyn. She was the nicest person your mother and I had met in a while. She talked to us about you and gave us great advice. When your grandparents on your mom's side kicked her out of the house, Evelyn the waitress took her in. And a while later, when my parents kicked me out of the house, she took me in too. We lived with her and when we found out you were going to be a little baby girl, we had to name you Evelyn." he wiped a tear from his eye. "Evelyn passed away a year after you were born and she left everything to your mother and I. She was the nicest person alive. Your mom and I only hoped that you would be at least half as loving and kind and she was."

"Aww... Daddy." I started tearing up.

Dad leaned over and hugged me. "It's all true, darling."

"That's so... So sweet." I smiled. "I feel very honored to have this name now."

Dad and I finished our lunch and we both went home. I cleaned up around my house, took a short nap, and did some work for school. At 5:30 I started making mine and Ryan's dinner. Ryan got home a little after six and we ate dinner together.

"Have you thought about baby names?" I asked him towards the end of dinner.

He stopped for a second. "No, not much. Why?"

"Just wondering." I replied. "What do you think we should name our son?"

"I don't know. Do you have ideas?" Ryan asked.

I shrugged. "I only started thinking about it this afternoon when my dad brought it up."

"We have two months." Ryan pointed out.

"What if he's born early?" I shot back.

Ryan chuckled. "Then he's born early."

I took a breath. "Do have any names in mind?"

"Liam?" Ryan suggested.

My jaw dropped. "Terrible. I'm not naming my son that."

"Do you have any ideas?" Ryan asked.

"Let me get back to you on that one." I smiled.

***

In the middle of the night that night, I woke Ryan up. I was so excited. I thought I found the perfect baby name and I wanted Ryan's approval.

"Ryan, wake up! Ryan!" I shook him awake.

"What... Evelyn... What...." Ryan mumbled.

I groaned. "Get up!"

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Get up!" I smacked his chest.

He jumped and his eyes flew open. "I'm up! What's wrong?"

"I found the name." I exclaimed.

Ryan looked at me like I was crazy. "That's it?" He asked. "You woke me up at 3 am to tell me that?"

I nodded.

"Well." He sighed. "What is it?"

I smiled. "Ben."

"Ben." Ryan repeated. "That sounds... nice. I like that. Good work, Ev."

I laughed. "That's his name?!"

"Yeah. It's perfect." Ryan agreed.

"Yes!" I yelled. "Evelyn and Ryan and baby Ben. Oh my God, we're a family!"

Ryan let out a small laugh and then turned over. "Goodnight, my nutty girlfriend."

"Goodnight, babe." I turned over and closed my eyes.

"And goodnight baby Ben." Ryan said touching my tummy.

I smiled and fell asleep.