Change of plans (15)

The next month went by slowly. My baby bump got huge and I started feeling really uncomfortable. I was also getting worried. Why was my due date getting so close but I wasn't showing any signs of labor? What if I had to have a C-Section? All of these thoughts crossed my mind many times per day. I was even starting to lose sleep. My due date came and I panicked. I called the doctor three times that day and all three different nurses said the same thing. Just wait. If the baby doesn't come with in the next week then they'll plan and emergency C-Section. I wasn't satisfied with their answer and, honestly, I didn't trust them. So I looked up ways how to induce labor naturally on the Internet.

Ryan peeked over my shoulder and laughed. "What are you doing, Evelyn?"

"I'm worried and I want to induce labor." I replied. "Will you help me?"

"What do I have to do?" Ryan groaned.

I showed him one of the Internet tabs I was looking at. "They range from bumpy car rides to eating spicy foods to having sex to walking and exercising." I paused. "What should we try first?"

"Sex?" Ryan asked. "How is that even possible?"

I shook my head. "OK, not doing that one."

Ryan laughed. "We'll go for a car ride and pick up some spicy food. Two in one."

"Perfect!" I exclaimed. "I'm kind of hungry anyways."

Ryan and I got in his car and he started driving. I told him to try and hit every speed bump possible and hit every pot hole in the road. We made it to Taco Bell and I got all the spicy food they had. We drove home and I ate it all on the way.

When we got home, I got some salsa out of the fridge and started eating it with tortilla chips as I paced around the living room couch.

"Evelyn..." Ryan said, looking at me funny. "What are you doing now?"

"Spicy food and exercise." I replied. "Two in one, duh."

Ryan laughed. "I don't think this is going to work for you."

"You never know, I could go into labor any minute now." I nodded.

He laughed again and walked up stairs.

I ate a few more chips with salsa and then put it away. I continued pacing and raising my arms up and down for about another 10 minutes. Then it hit me.

"Ryan!" I yelled as I sat on the couch. I was in pain all of a sudden. "Oh my God! Ryan, get your ass down here now!" I screamed. "Ryan!"

He came running down the stairs and over to my side. "You better not be joking with me, Ev!"

"Does it look like I'm joking?" I shouted bitterly. I clutched my stomach and winced in pain. "Take me to the hospital now."

Ryan nodded and got his keys. He threw on some shoes and got me a sweater. I waddled out to the car and let out a cry of pain. "Holy crap, this hurts!" I yelled as I sat on the passenger's seat. "Drive fast, Ryan!"

He nodded again and I saw some sweat coming off his forehead. "A-are you OK?"

"I'm in labor you dummy, does it look like I'm OK?" I shouted in the car. Another contraction came and I screamed bloody murder. "Go faster, Ryan!" I exclaimed. "The baby's coming now!"

Ryan drove faster and we finally got to the hospital. I was rushed into a room with a bunch of doctors and nurses. Ryan was holding my right hand and was wiping sweat from my forehead. I was screaming at the top of my lungs.

I was in labor for an two and a half hours. Ryan's hand was nearly broken by the time Ben was born and my vocal cords were strained. Little baby Ben was brought into the world at 1:07 a.m. and weighed 9 pounds, 5 ounces.

I held him in my arms once he was examined and I was cleaned up.

"He's perfect." Ryan said, looking over my shoulder. "He had your nose."

I giggled and played with Ben's tiny hand. "He definitely has your eyes."

Ryan kissed my head and then Ben's head. "We make cute babies."

"No more for a while." I made clear. "That hurt like hell!"

"But now we have our beautiful son." Ryan said.

I smiled at Ryan. "He was worth it."

"I love you, Evelyn." Ryan looked at me. My heart melted as I gazed into his baby blue eyes. We held the gaze as Ryan started getting down on one knee. He pulled a little box out of his pocket and held it out to me. "I love our son too. And I want to be with you forever." He paused. "I've been waiting for the right moment and I think that moment is now." Ryan smiled and held out the most gorgous ring I'd ever seen out to me. "Evelyn, I promise to love you and our son and any furture kids we have together forever. Will you marry me?"

I covered my mouth in awe and let the tears stream down my face. "Aww... Ryan... I-I love you too." I nodded my head. "Yes! Of course, I'll marry you!"

Ryan slid the ring onto my ringer and kissed me. We both looked down at our baby boy and noticed that he was doing that cute smile that babies do in their sleep.

Boy, this night couldn't get any better!