Change of plans (16)

"Evelyn." Someone said as they poked my shoulder. "Evelyn, wake up."

I jumped a little and my eyes flew open. "W-what?"

It was just Ryan. "You and Ben have visitors." Ryan said patting my shoulder. "It's your Dad and my parents."

I sat up in the uncomfortable hospital bed and blinked a few times. "O-OK."

Ryan was already holding Ben, who was sleeping, in his arms.

My Dad walked into the room with blue balloons and some flowers. "Hi, baby girl." Dad said to me. He put the balloons and flowers on the table next to my bed and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Where's my grandson?"

Ryan walked around my bed towards my dad. "Do you want to hold him?"

Dad nodded and took Ben in his arms. "Wow, he's a big boy."

I nodded. "Nine pounds, five ounces."

"Dang!" Dad exclaimed.

Then, Mr. and Mrs. Sutton walked into my room. Mrs. Sutton had some flowers and a card and Mr. Sutton had some balloons and a little teddy bear.

"Hi, Evelyn! How are you?" Mrs. Sutton asked, rushing to my side.

"Very tired." I replied yawning.

She gave me a quick hug and handed me the card. "We're very proud of you." She paused and then walked over to Ryan and hugged him. "Congradulations, you guys!" Mrs. Sutton made her way towards my dad. "Little Ben is adorable. He looks just like both of you."

I smiled.

Ryan nodded and sat at the foot of my bed.

Mr. Sutton put the balloons on the table and put the teddy bear beside me. "That's for Ben." He looked up and smiled at me, then at Ryan. "Congradulations." Mr. Sutton touched my arm. "We're proud of you both and know you'll make wonderful parents."

"Thanks." I answered.

Ryan touched my hand and held it in his. "Good job, honey." He whispered.

My Dad stayed for about an hour. Mr. and Mrs. Sutton stayed for about an hour and a half. Ryan and I told all of them about how he proposed and of our eventful evening last night.

Later that day, after I took a nice two hour nap, Ryan woke me up and said we had more visitors. It was Chris and Gaby. What a surprise!

"Hi..." I said awkwardly as Gaby came to my bedside.

Her hands were folded ovee her stomach. Gaby looked at me genuinely. "I'm sorry, Ev. I didn't mean to ruin our friendship. I regret everything I said to you in that conversation. I feel terrible. And I actually have a confession of my own."

I just continued staring at her.

"I'm pregnant." Gaby whispered.

I reached my arms out and hugged her. "Oh, Gaby!" I exclaimed with tears coming down my face. "I forgive you! It's OK. I just want to forget that and move on. We're friends now. Everything's alright. I'm here for you." I looked into her eyes. "Your pregnant?"

"Yeah." She smiled. "Chris is the dad. We found out a month ago."

I smiled with her. "Congradulations."

Gaby looked down. "We decided to not keep the baby. I'm giving it up for adoption."

"Oh..." I mumbled. "Wow..."

She nodded. "It'll be OK. I'm happy about my decision."

I gave her one more hug before Ryan came over with Ben.

Gaby gasped. "Oh, Evelyn, he's so cute!" She touched his hand. "He's tiny and so adorable! I don't know what to say!"

"Thanks." Ryan and I said together.

Chris patted Ryan's arm. "Your a dad, dude."

"I know." Ryan nodded.

"He finishes school in a month." I informed Chris.

Chris's jaw dropped. "Your leaving me, man?"

Ryan nodded. "I'm going to college in January."

"Nice." Chris smiled.

Gaby spoke up. "We should all go out in a few weeks. Evelyn and Ryan, bring the baby. We could go out for dinner or something. I really want to talk about this pregnancy thing and ask you some questions."

I giggled. "Definately. But Ryan and I need to get Ben settled into our house and everything. Plus, I need to recover from giving child birth."

"OK, OK." Gaby smiled.

Wow, this was just amazing. Gaby and I made up. She was pregnant. Chris and Ryan are so supportive and such good friends. Ben is a cute baby. Could this get any better? I couldn't wait to go home.