Change of Plans (23)

"Ryan!" I yelled from the living room. "Ryan, hurry!"

It was the begining of August and I was seven months pregnant. I was watching Ben when all of a sudden, I felt pain- pain like I was going into labor.

"What?" Ryan came strolling over.

"I think I'm going into labor!" I shouted.

Ryan looked at me like I was nuts. "Your barely seven months pregnant. How is that possible."

"I don't know. But this isn't good." I snapped. "Take me to the hospital!"

Ryan put nine month old Ben in his car seat and then helped me out to the car.

"Ryan!" I screamed. "It hurts!"

"I'm going as fast as I can!" He yelled back at me.

I clutched my huge stomach and let tears fall from my eyes. "I'm scared." I sobbed. "I'm too early to give birth. What if-"

"Don't think of the what if's, Evelyn!" Ryan inturrupted. "Everything's going to be OK." He ttried calming me down. "Just take deep breaths and don't worry." Ryan paused to breath. "We're going to the hospital and the doctors will take care of you." His hands were shaking and he looked pale. I could tell me was scared and worried too. "I'm here for you and I love you. It's going to be all right."

I almost couldn't talk. "Ryan..." I muttered. "The baby..."

He shushed me. "Don't cry. Don't think about that. The baby will be fine."

The next events happened so quickly. Ryan rushed me in the hospital. A bunch of nurses crowded around me. I was asked so many different questions. Then the doctor came. He did an ultrasound and-

"Your having twins." He said.

"Twins?!" I yelled. I broke down into tears. "What?! Well, how are they doing? Are they OK? What's going on?"

He looked at me very seriously. "We need to do an emergency C-Section right now."

My heart was pounding as a nurse gave me and IV. A few other nurses came around to help. The anistegiologist gave me a shot and then it was time. I was wheeled down the hallway and into the operating room.

"Where's Ryan?" I managed to ask one of the nurses.

She shushed me. "Don't speak. Just breath and calm down."

"Ryan." I muttered. Then the rest was a blurr.

***

"Evelyn." A nurse whispered.

I blinked a few times and then realized what was going on.

The nurse didn't look too happy which worried me. I immediately started crying.

"Evelyn." She repeated.

"Where are my babies?" I asked, almost in panick mode.

She smiled very faintly. "They're in the intensive care unit. Your boys were born prematurely and they need to be carefully examinded."

"Boys?" I questioned. "I had two boys?"

She nodded. "Yes, congratulations."

I smiled. "Where's Ryan?"

"The baby's father?" She asked.

I nodded.

"He's in the hall. Would you like me to bring him in?" She replied.

I nodded again.

The nurse dissappeared for a moment then brought Ryan in my little recovery room. He was crying.

"Evelyn." Ryan said. "I love you."

I started cryiing again too. "I love you too." I paused. "How are they?"

"I don't know. I can't go in there. I'm worried but the nurses don't seem worried. I think that's a good sign." He replied.

"Where's Ben?" I asked.

Ryan sniffled. "I called my parents and your dad. They're all here now. My mom's watching him for us. He's not allowed to be back here since he's only a baby. So they're taking turns waiting in the lobby with him."

I smiled. "Two boys." I said. "Well, three including Ben."

"We're so lucky." Ryan smiled at me. He leaned close to me and kissed my forehead. "What are we naming them?"

"How about you pick a name and I pick a name?" I suggested.

Ryan agreed. "OK." He paused. "Caleb Nathan Sutton and..."

"Cameron Jacob Sutton." I answered.

"Cameron and Caleb." Ryan repeated. "That is officially adorable."

I giggled. "Is Gabby and Chris here?"

"No, Chris is working and Gabby's on bed rest, remember." Ryan replied. "They said they'd come by once Chris was done working."

I yawned. "Oh, OK."

Ryan kissed my cheek. "You should get some sleep. I'll go make sure Ben's OK with my mom and see if the nurses can tell me anything about Caleb and Cameron. I'll keep you updated, babe." He paused and flashed me his gorgous smile that made me fall in love with him all over again. "I love you, Evelyn."

"I love you too, Ryan." I said. I watched Ryan walk out the door. Then my eyes slowly closed and I fell into a nice, deep sleep.