Change of plans (18)

It's December. Ben is one month old and today is Christmas. Ryan, Ben, and I are going to Ryan's parents' house for Christmas lunch/dinner. My dad is also going over there. But first, in the morning, Ryan and I exchanged gifts with each other. I gave Ryan a watch, two shirts, and a pair of tennis shoes. Ryan gave me a bracelet, a pair of shoes, and a gift card to the mall. We both got Ben clothes and toys.

After our morning celebration, I got dressed in a pair of nice jeans, a black t-shirt with an Aeropostale hoddie over it, and a pair of boots. Ryan had on a pair of jeans, a polo, and a jacket. I put Ben in a long sleve onesie, some little matching pants, a furry coat, a little matching hat, and some thick socks. We loaded up the car at 12 and headed off to Ryan's parents' house.

Ben screamed the whole car ride there. Luckily, it wasn't that far a drive.

"Merry Christmas!" Mrs. Sutton exclaimed as the three of us walked in the door.

Ryan and I hugged his mom and then she took Ben from us. The family 'oh-ed' and 'ah-ed' at him.

I walked further in the door and noticed my dad was already there. I ran over to him and gave him a big hug. "Merry Christmas, Daddy!"

"Same to you, Evelyn." He said kissing my cheek.

Ryan walked over and wished my dad a merry Christmas. The three of us talked for a while and then Mrs. Sutton announced that the meal was ready. I took Ben from her and she started serving everyone. Ryan got me a plate and we took a seat at the long dinning room table. The whole family sat around the table and started eating.

"So, Evelyn and Ryan, when are you getting married?" Mrs. Sutton asked.

We glanced at each other.

"I don't know." I replied. "We haven't really planned anything. We've been so busy. I've been watching Ben all day and Ryan works and goes to school." I paused. "We haven't really thought about a wedding yet."

"Are you two planning on having more kids?" Mrs. Sutton asked smiling.

Ryan looked a little shocked. "We're 18, mom."

"You already have one kid, why not have another?" She replied.

"Oh..." I mumbled. "Um... two children would be a little too much to handle right now."

Mrs. Sutton laughed. "Are you on birth control then, darling?"

I was silent.

"Mom, stop, please." Ryan spoke up. "That's Evelyn's business, not yours."

"I'm just wondering, son." She answered. "I want to know if I'll be having another grandchild any time soon."

Ryan looked down. "Just cool it a little."

Mrs. Sutton ignored her son.

The rest of the dinner went well. All of Ryan's family asked us a bunch of questions. By the end of that dinner I was tired of hearing myself talk and explain things. I was glad we were going to Chris's house next.

Ryan, Ben, and I got to Chris's house at 4:30. We said hi to his family and gave Chris and Gaby their Christmas presents. We got Gaby a necklace, Chris a shirt, and the both of them a gift card to Babies R Us.

After that, Chris and Gaby gave us our gifts. They got me two shirts, Ryan shoes, and Ben some clothes and a stuffed animal.

By now, Gaby was 2 months pregnant. She wasn't speaking to her parents. She had a small baby bump and still craved pickles and peanut butter at night.

I fed Ben a bottle and he fell asleep in my arms as the four of us talked. Ryan discussed how he was going to college in a few weeks. He told Chris that he was going to become teacher and it would only take three years. I was very proud of Ryan and his goals. He had to grow up a lot in the past year and he was taking it well.

We left Chris's house at 8:30 that night. Ben cried the whole way home which gave me a head ache. When we got home, Ryan gave Ben his night bottle so I could lay down. Ben was in his crib by 9 and Ryan came in our bedroom to lay with me.

The two of us talked for about an hour. We talked about our wedding- we both agreed that we should wait. And about more kids- we weren't going to use protection but we we're going to try and get pregnant: we'd let nature take over. We discussed Ryan's school situation- his parents agreed to pay for everything. Ryan and I were really grateful for his parents. They helped us out a lot. And we talked about my school situation- I wasn't doing my on line classes anymore. I had one semester left of 12th grade. Trust me, I really wanted to finish, but I just didn't have the time anymore.

Ryan and I fell asleep at 10:15 in each other's arms. We had just spent the most perfect day together and with our lovely baby Ben.