Change of plans (19)

New Years Eve. Ah, tonight. Ryan spent the day at home with baby Ben and his friend Chris while Gabby and I went shopping for a while. We were going to have a little get-together tonight with Chris and Gabby, Ryan's parents, and my dad for the holiday. Ryan and I told them that they had to be gone by 9 though because Ben needed to sleep.

"Evelyn." Gabby said as we were walking around the mall. "Are you and Ryan going to have anymore babies? I think my little one needs a friend."

I laughed. "Gab, Ben can be your baby's friend. I don't want anymore for a while."

"They'll be, like, a year apart or something." Gabby exclaimed. "And come on, Ben isn't that much work."

"Um, yes he is." I corrected. "He's better than most babies but he's still tiring."

Gabby sighed. "I'm sure you'll come to your senses and want another baby in a few months."

"Fine!" I yelled.

Gabby jumped. "You'll have another kid?"

I shook my head and smiled. "Ryan and I talked about it for a while on Christmas." I paused. "His parents were asking us if we were having more kids." I sighed. "We agreed to not use protection but not actually try and get pregnant."

"Whoa... Evelyn!" Gabby said with raised eyebrows. "So your getting some in the bed?"

"No! No! No! No!" I quieted here. "Well, yes, but-"

Gabby shushed me and whispered. "Have you guys have had sex since Ben was born?"

I turned a little red and nodded. "Yes."

"Shut up!" Gabby punched my arm. "Most teen parents don't! And usually the grandparents don't want more grandchildren."

I giggled. "We're not like most people."

Gabby laced her fingers and rested them on her little baby bump. "Mhm... I've noticed." She paused. "So... How many times have you..."

"Gabby!" I screeched.

"I'm curious." She defended. "You might have one on the way and not know it."

I shook my head. "Since Ben was born, twice."

"Really now?" Gabby smiled.

"Once in the middle of December and then on the day after Christmas." I added.

Gabby's jaw dropped. "You naughty girl!"

"Hey, we're engaged now so he's all mine." I said.

"That sounded really kinky." Gabby laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up!"

There was a small silence.

"I've missed you, girl!" I exclaimed and looked at Gabby. "I don't know how I survived with out you for nine months!"

"I know!" Gabby agreed. "I'm glad we patched things up. I don't know how I would have survived my pregnancy with out you."

Gabby and I hugged for a moment then laughed and kept shopping.

***

The party that night was fun. Ryan's parents were happy and talked a lot to Chris and Gabby. My dad called at the last minute and said he couldn't make it, he was sick. Chris and Gabby were the last to leave at 9:20.

"Fun party." Ryan said as he got into our bed with me.

I smiled. "Yeah, thanks, honey."

Ryan kissed my lips. "Welcome."

"I talked to Gabby a lot this morning." I said.

"And?" He asked, flicking on the TV.

I took a deep breath. "She said that me and you should have another kid." I paused nervously. "I told her what we decided on the other day."

"Really?" Ryan nodded.

I let my feelings out. "And I agree with her. I think we should have another kid."

"OK." Ryan was zoned out.

"Ryan!" I said. "Ryan! Listen!" I repeated louder. "Ryan!"

He paused the TV and looked at me. "Huh?"

"We should have another kid." I blurted right out.

Ryan was shocked. "You mean, like, try for another kid?"

I nodded, nervously. I wasn't sure about how he'd react.

"OK, Ben could use a brother." Ryan said, smiling.

"He's only a few months old." I stated. "Plus, I want a baby girl."

He shook his head. "Nope, next one's going to be a boy, I bet you."

"Girl!" I said firmly.

Ryan and I laughed and talked some more until midnight. When the clock struck 12, we kissed and smiled at each other.

"What's your New Year's resolution?" I asked Ryan right before we fell asleep.

"To start college and become a teacher." He answered. "I'm thinking a Junior High teacher. You know, seventh and eighth grade."

I giggled. "You know exactly what you want."

"Yes, yes I do." Ryan laughed. "What's your resolution?"

"To finish 12th grade and to get Ben a little sibling." I replied.

Ryan held my hand under the covers. "Cool."

I kissed his cheek then we fell asleep.