Change of plans (27)

Early the next morning, Ryan and I dropped Ben off at Ryan's parents' house and headed to the hospital. We were finally going to be able to bring Caleb and Cameron home. The nurses went over a bunch of safety things with us because the boys were still real small and they told us all about each of their schedules on eating. They also told us how much to feed them and what to do if something scary happens.

"Here's Caleb." The nurse handed me Caleb who was all swaddled up in a little blue blanket and sucking on a pacifier. "He was three pounds eleven ounces when he was born. Now he's five pounds two ounces. So, little Caleb here is doing fantastic for being born two and a half months early."

"Thank you very much." I hugged the nurse with my free hand and then put Caleb in his car seat.

Another nurse walked over and handed Cameron to Ryan. "Here's your little trooper, Cameron. This little fella was only three pounds five ounces when he was born. But now he's five pounds three ounces."

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed.

The nurses laughed. "That's what we said too!"

"Offensive lineman, right here, Evelyn. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be a football player!" Ryan smiled and nodded then put Cameron in his car seat.

The nurses and doctors wished us luck and Ryan and I thanked them before we left. A few nurses walked us out and said bye to the boys. Then the four of us got in the car and Ryan drove us very carefuly to his parents' house.

***

"Hi, mom!" Ryan yelled as we walked through the door with the boys.

"Hey, Ryan! Evelyn! How are the little boys?" Mrs. Sutton rushed over to us and looked at Caleb and Cameron so very carefully. She oh-ed and ah-ed at them and huged Ryan and I. "They are so darling!" Mrs. Sutton exclaimed. "Wait until Ben sees them! Oh, why don't you come sit down and I'll go get Ben from upstairs."

Ryan and I sat on the couch and got the boys out of their car seats while Mrs. Sutton went to get Ben.

Ben is nine moths old now and is starting to learn how to stand up and walk. He loves playing in his little walker and crashing into things around the house. He can say quite a few words and sleeps all the way through the night. He's rather quiet and likes playing by himself a lot. When I was pregnant and really showing, Ben always liked to feel the babies kick. He's a sweet little boy who doesn't usually strive for a lot of attention. But now that he has two little siblings, I'm starting to worry.

"How do you think Ben will be?" I asked Ryan quietly.

Ryan shrugged. "I'm nervous and I know you are too."

"You know me so well." I giggled.

"We kind of have three kids together and are getting married soon, I kind of have to know you well, Evelyn." Ryan laughed.

Mrs. Sutton came downstairs with Ben in her arms. "Look, Benny! There's your brothers!"

Ben's face lit up. "Baby." He clapped his hands and continued saying, "Baby."

My eyes almost started tearing up. That was so cute. "Look, Ryan!"

"That was pretty adorable." Ryan admitted.

Mrs. Sutton walked over with Ben and showed him Cameron and Caleb. "That's Cameron." She said to him. "And that's Caleb."

"Cam and Cab." Ben said. He contiued just staring at Cameron and Caleb in awe. Then he stuck his hand out to touch Caleb's hand. "Baby." Ben smiled. "Baby!"

Caleb started squirming in my arms and then burst into tears. He screamed at the top of his lungs. I shushed him and rocked him in my arms but nothing helped. I prayed and prayed that he wouldn't disturb Cameron. I got a bottle out of our baby bag and started feeding him. But that didn't work. So, I stood up and tried bouncing him around to make him quiet. Didn't help either.

And, just my luck, Cameron started screaming too. Ryan shushed him and tried feeding him too.

Cameron and Caleb would just not be quiet. So, Ben had to join in too. His face got bright red and tears fell fom his face. He was sobbing and calling my name. I wanted nothing more than to reach out, hug him, and say I'm here for him. But I had a crying premature baby in my arms and couldn't. I watched Mrs. Sutton take Ben in her arms and try calming him down. But he kicked and screamed my name.

Ryan tapped my shoudler. "Let me take Caleb. Go help Ben."

I slipped Caleb into Ryan's arms and bent down to embrace Ben. "What's wrong, baby?" I asked him. "Mommy's here."

Ben fell into my arms and I scooped him up. I rocked him for a while and whispered that it was going to be alright.

Ryan gave me the I-think-it's-time-to-go look and we started packing up our things. I took Ben, the baby bag, and my purse out to the car while Ryan took the twins.

Surprisingly, the car ride got quiet. I guess Cameron and Caleb liked car rides.