Change of Plans (24)

I woke up in the middle of the night. Ryan was tapping my shoulder. He looked sleepy and like he'd been crying.

"Ryan..." I mumbled. "What are you doing here?"

"They're OK." Ryan said happily.

I looked at him confused. "Huh?"

"Caleb and Cameron are OK." He said with a huge smile. He kissed my lips and looked at me again. "The nurses are going to keep them in the ICU for a few days just to make sure they're stable but everything looks good right now."

I smiled. "That's great." I kissed his cheek. "Where's Ben?"

"He went home with my mom so I could stay here." Ryan replied.

"What time is it?" I asked.

Ryan looked at his phone. "Three seventeen."

"Oh." I yawned. "Are you staying here for the night?"

"Probably. I'm too tired to drive home." He answered.

I looked around the little hospital room. "There's a chair over there."

"Cool." Ryan made his way over to the little chair. "Goodnight."

"NIght." I whispered then fell asleep again.

***

"Evelyn." I heard someone whisper a little too loudly. "Evelyn." They repeated.

I turned a little in my bed.

"I think she's awake." They said.

I  blinked my eyes. Everything was a blur. I blinked a little more then it all came into focus. Gabby was the one whispering. Chris was right beside her. And Ryan was walking in the door.

Gabby smiled. "Goodmorning!"

"Hi." I answered as I tried to sit up a little.

"I'm breaking my best rest rule by being here so don't tell anybody." Gabby giggled.

I chuckled. "Nice."

"So where's your baby?" Gabby asked.

I glanced at Ryan. "Did you tell them?"

"Tell them what?" Ryan was tired and confused. He hadn't changed his clothing from yesterday.

"That we had twin boys and they're in the ICU." I said.

Gabby freaked. "What?!"

"Be quiet!" I said. "It's early in the morning."

"Evelyn, it's eleven forty six. You slept in." Gabby laughed.

I shrugged. "Oh, well."

"So, you had twin boys?!" Gabby got back to that subject. "Oh my God! How did you not know?! No wonder why your stomach was so huge. I mean, I wasn't even that big! Why are they in the ICU?"

"They were born two months early." I answered.

Gabby was serious now. "Aww, are they OK?"

"Yeah, a bunch of nurses did tests and stuff on them and the boys are fine. They are just being monitered to make sure they're stable now." Ryan answered Gabby. "They can't be taken out of the ICU for a while though."

Gabby got all mushy and heartfelt. "You must have been so scared. I'm glad to hear they're alright now. When can you go see them?"

Ryan shrugged. "I don't know. The nurses don't tell me much. I had to go and ask how they were doing. Nobody actually came up to me and told me."

"You don't look good, man." Chris said.

Ryan yawned. "I'm tired and worried."

"Go home and shower and sleep." I told Ryan. "I'll be fine here and I'll call you if anything happens."

"Sure?" He asked.

I nodded. "Positive."

Ryan walked over and kissed me. "I'll shower real fast then get right back over here, OK, babe?"

"Take your time." I said. "You had a long night. Take your time."

He kissed my cheek. "Thanks. Love you." Then Ryan walked out.

"That's so adorable!" Gabby exclaimed.

There was a silence.

Gabby walked closer and sat on the foot of my bed. "So, what did you name your boys?"

"Caleb Nathan Sutton and Cameron Jacob Sutton." I replied.

"Oh my God!" Gabby yelled. "Cute!"

I laughed.

Chris looked at Gabby like she was crazy. "Calm down, Gab."

"So there's Ben Isaac Sutton, Caleb Nathan Sutton, Cameron Jacob Sutton, and parents Ryan Anthony Sutton and Evelyn Rosemaire Santiago." Gabby ranted on. "You guys are such a cute family!" She paused. "I mean, Daniel Christopher James Kingford is nice but it's a little long. I'm not going to change the name though. Wait, what is up with us and having baby boys? You had Ben, Caleb, and Cameron and I'm having Daniel. What is going on?"

I laughed. "Oh, Gabby."