28 The Letter

A few months have past. And yeah, it's summer. Which means only one thing: Disneyland!

I already packed my bag, and in about ten minutes Louis will come. And then we will go to Disneyland Florida!
I'm literally dying here!

I ran to the car to throw my bag in it. And just when I opened the door of the car, I realized I forgot my bag. So I went back.

I looked around the corner into the livingroom, and saw my father reading a letter. He doesn't look very happy.
I decided to ignore it. I grabbed the bag and ran again to the car.
What stood in that letter? And why is dad looking that sad. He hasn't been that sad since...
Oh no. I hope not. I told mom not to do it. She knows how important dad is to me.
A tear rolled down my face. I swiped it away with my arm. There's no time to be sad. Life is too short for that. I took a deep breath and forced a smile.

"Melissa!"

I turned around, seeing Louis. I ran towards him and gave him a hug.
"Whoa. Slow down girl. What happened," he joked.

I thought about what just happened. "Nothing, you're my boyfriend. So I have the right to attack you and give you hugs."

He looked in my eyes. He doesn't believe me. I put on a smile, and grabbed his hand. "Come on, Louis! We're going to Disneyland!"

He laughed and threw his bagage in the car. "Where's your mom?"

I looked around. "I don't know. Probably doing some shopping."

"Shopping?" Louis raised his eyebrow.

"Yeah. Napoleons, chips, Autodrop. You know, so we can survive this long trip."

"I don't need food."

"Sorry?" I am shooketh. Everybody needs food."

"Not me."

I looked confused to Louis face. Figuring out what he means. "Okay..."

Finally my mother was back, so we could go.

"Oh my god! I'm literally dying here! OH-EM-GEE!"

"Melissa, we're not yet moving.."

I glared at Louis. "I donut care!"

Finally we went to Schiphol. I really was enjoying the Autodrop. And Louis too, by the way. "I thought you didn't need food?"

"I don't."

I looked at him. And to the candy. And then back at him.

"But sometimes a little treatment for my tongue is nice," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

After three hours sitting in the car, we finally arrived at Schiphol. We checked in, we waited for the plain, and we went inside the plain.
With every step I take, I get a heart attack, but on a good way. I went to my seat, and pulled Louis with me. I turned around, looking for my parents. But maybe that wasn't really a good idea. I saw mom and dad having a fight. Tears filled my eyes, but somehow I could stop them. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and forced a smile. Suddenly I thought about Louis. He didn't see me, right?! I immediately turned to Louis, which was playing Angry Birds. I sighed. He didn't see me.

o o o

"Okay, which attraction first?" Louis asked.

"What about... ALL OF THEM," my face was glowing.

"Let's go in the wheel, with the big Mickey Mouse head on it," Louis said.

"Okay!" I ran towards the wheel, like I was Superman or something.

Once we sat, Louis grabbed my hand.

I saw he was looking concerned. "What is it? Afraid of heights?"

"No... It's just..." he sighed. "I've never been in a wheel before."

I turned my face away from Louis, and I hold my breath. Don't laugh. Melissa, do not laugh! I hold my lips together, letting out small squeezes. Okay, Melissa. Breath. I took a deep breath, and let go.

"Melissa. Are you laughing?!"

My eyes widened. Fast, Melissa. Say something. "No... I was looking the view."

"We didn't move yet!"

"That... That Louis..." Melissa, just do something! "That doesn't matter." I grabbed his hands and the wheel started moving.
Nearly at the top we stopped. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Louis said looking out of the window. Suddenly Louis looked at me with wide eyes. A tear rolled down his face.

"What? What happened?" I pushed Louis away, and looked out of the window. It was dad. He jumped out of the wheel...
...
He.. Committed suicide. Tears were rolling down my face. Leftovers from my heart were broken. I slammed on the door. "No! Dad! Dad!"
Louis grabbed me, trying to comfort me. But yet while I hugged him, I felt drops falling on my shoulder.

Once we got out, I ran to dad. But people were holding me back.
"Dad!" I cried harder. Louis grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards him. I layed my face in his sweater, crying.
I heard my mom screaming. "Ferrie! Don't go away! You can see Melissa again! We can be a family again!"
I pulled Louis closer, crying harder.
Suddenly the ambulance came, and they carried dad away. But it doesn't matter anymore. Dad is gone...

o o o

I was reading the letter, which my dad read before we went to Disneyland.

Dear Mr. Van der Veen,

At 12.10.2015 Mrs. Van der Veen accused you for not being loyal to your marriage, and family.
Mrs. Van der Veen requested a restraining.
The judge decided to go along with this. Which means you, Mr. Van der Veen, aren't aloud to be in Melissa's surrounding...

I threw the paper away. Tomorrow it's dad's funeral. I already prepared a speech.
Mom hasn't been out of her room for days, and I'm worrying.
Lately I've been thinking. About Stranger. About that they were with four. And actually it's very mean, to blackmail me with this secret. I'm not angry at them, It's time for me to leave the past in the past. To move on. To make something of my life.
Sure, bad memories won't fade away. But sometimes you need to embrace them, and learn from it.
And what have I learned from the past...
After rain comes sunshine. For example: First I got blackmailed by some stranger. But if that didn't happened, Louis and I would have never been together.
And that because of one secret. Best secret ever.

End

Hello guys,
Jupp. You read it right: End.
But there will be an extra chapter about the funeral. About Louis and Melissa. And one extra chapter which you guys can decide about what.
If you liked this book, please vote, comment, recommend, and share.

Please read my other books as well. Just go to my profile @MandyVanTVeer.

That was it. I hope I'll see you guys soon.