Pop That Pretty Question

It's been almost eight years since Louis and I got together. We both graduated from college and we decided to live together in Amsterdam.
I love Louis a lot, but sometimes he can be a pain in the ass...

"Melissa. Can we please buy some chocolate?"

I took a glance at my left, holding my grocerielist in my hands.

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's not on the grocerielist," I said, pushing my shoppingcart further.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my arm, holding my arm tight, which made me stop. I looked at my back, seeing Louis is holding my arm.

"Please?"

I roll my eyes. "Louis. We don't have enough money, since you bought that mystery thing for 900 euro's!"

I walked further, but stopped after three steps. "What did you even buy?"

"Alright, no chocolate..." Louis said, and he walked further.

I am confusion. What the heck? Why won't he just tell me what he bought?

I run after Louis, eyeing every movement that he makes.

"Is there something, Melissa?"

I gulped. How did he know I was looking at him?

Suddenly Louis turned around. I saw a smirk on his face, and I knew he was about to say something really cringey.

He opened his mouth, took a deep breath and said: "Are you checking my ass out?"

I knew it. That bastard. I just knew it. I fell for it. Why didn't I do something when I had the chance.

I rolled my eyes and I walked further to the cassier and smiled.

I love him.

o o o

"Melissa! Are you ready?"

I finished up my make-up and yelled: "Yes, I'm coming!"

Louis asked me on a date. I don't know where, because he didn't want to tell me. I ran downstairs and I grabbed my purse.

"You look beautiful." Louis gave me a little kiss on my cheek, looked me in the eyes and added: "as always". And gave me a kiss on my lips.

I blushed. Even after being together for eight whole years, he still knew how to make me feel special.

"Let's go."

We walked outside and Louis opened the car for me.

We drove to a big building, in the middle of Amsterdam. As we walked inside, I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Oh my God! Louis!"

Louis wrapped his arms around my waist and whispered: "do you like it?"

I turned around, wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him on his lips. "Are you kidding me? This is the best thing somebody could do for me!"

I looked around me, seeing all of my paintings being displayed.

"Later in the evening is the grand opening," Louis said.

I started walking through the building, and I went up the stairs. I couldn't believe it. I feel like a real artist right now!
I walked to my best masterpiece, which was in the center of the whole room. Suddenly I felt somebody wrapping his arms around me, and he gave me a kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"You shouldn't be thanking me. This is a gift from one of your biggest fans."

I turned my head, looking into Louis' eyes. "Wait." I am confused. "So this isn't the mystery thing you bought for 900 euro's?"

Louis shook his head. "No, that's a surprise for later."

"Well... I want to meet my biggest fan. Where is this person? I want to thank that wonderful person."

"I am here." A pretty young woman came around the corner. "I am so glad that I have the honor to display your art."

"Please! I am so grateful for this opportunity! I must be the one to thank you!"

The lady laughed. "The workers can come here any minute. At the entrance will be a red carpet, wich will lead to the stairs. Here in the middle will come a bar..."

o o o

The evening came soon, and a lot of people were coming in.

"Are you the painter?"

"It's so nice meeting the artist. I love your work!"

"Please continue making this wonderful art."

I couldn't be happier. Finally I am recognized as a real artist, and I'm taken seriously.

I looked behind me. Louis was standing next to me, holding his left arm on my back. It's such a wonderful feeling, being with him.

"Melissa!" I heard a familiar voice.

I looked around seeing Tiana, Christel and Naomi. I walked towards them, as they hugged me all at once.

"Congratulations Melissa!"

"Thank you guys, I can't beli-" I was interrupted by a loud sound of a microphone.

"Ahum. Can I have everyone's attention please?"

I saw Louis standing in front of the best masterpiece, while a spotlight was shining on him.

"As you all know: the talented artist of these paintings is Melissa van Vliet."

A lot of people started to clap their hands and cheered.

"Please, bring the artist to the front."

A man in a tuxedo came to me, offering his hand. I took his hand, as he guided me to the front.

"What is this?" I whispered to Louis.

"Don't worry about it," he whispered back.

"Could you hold this for me?" he said, while he gave the microphone to the man in the tuxedo. Suddenly Louis kneeled in front of me and took a small box out of his pocket.

Wait.

"Melissa..."

This

"...will you..."

can't be

"...marry me?"

happening.

There was silence. I heard a guy cough somewhere in the back.
But when I came to my senses:

"Yes!" I hugged him.

"Yes, I do!"