Chapter 3

I returned his smile after he introduced himself and nodded. What the hell are you nodding for? Stop it! I thought to myself. I could feel my cheeks flush red as he kept watching me make a complete fool out of myself. He opened his mouth to say something, but right then the bell rang and class had begun. A woman in what looked like her mid thirties stood up from her desk and smiled. She wore a  dark teal button up blouse that was tucked into her black, knee-length pencil skirt. She crossed one of her pasty, bony legs in front of the other as she stood, resting her butt on the head of her desk. Blond hair pulled back in a bun and hipster glasses sat promptly on her nose.

"Hello everyone. My name is Mrs. Elling and let me just say it is a wonderful pleasure to have you in Creative Writing this year. It is also a please to have," No, no. Don't introduce me. I'm a student like everybody else right now. "a student from America here with us for the school year. Miss Juliette St. Cloud, would you please say hello to the class?" She smiled warmly at me, trying to make me feel comfortable, but I was far from comfortable. It was already bad enough that I was blushing from my encounter with Mr. Toned Arms Ashton by my side a minute before. I looked around at the class and quietly said "Hi." 

"Tell us which state you're from sweetie." She entwined her hands in front of her, still resting against her desk, legs still crossed in front of the other.

"Um, I'm from Hillview, Massachusetts." I felt like I should've smiled, so I did, awkwardly. Social situations were not my strong suit.

"That's on the East Coast right?" some girl wearing sweatpants and a tank-top asked. She looked a hell of a lot more comfortable than me, both mentally and physically and I envied her for that.

"Yeah." Should I have said more? There wasn't much to say. It wasn't like I went to the beach or anything. I just stayed home most of the time. I was probably coming across as a snotty bitch, too cool for this trip. 

I could feel Ashton looking at me, curiously. I peeked a look at his arms and saw his hands tapping at his leg at a fast beat. Maybe he has a fidgeting problem or something. I thought to myself. I looked back at the classroom, which was still staring at me for some reason. I felt like an animal at the zoo. I was doing completely nothing, but yet everyone had some sort of fascination with me. I hated being in the spotlight; I always got a nervous sweat. I tried to smell myself discretely for any sign of sweat, but I smelled a fresh, ocean breeze cologne instead. I turned my head a little bit to Ashton's direction and realized he was the source of the relaxing smell. Damn, he smelled nice.

"Well, Juliette we are excited to learn more about you as the year goes on," Mrs. Elling, once again smiled and proceeded with the class. Thank god.

"Now class, I hate to be that teacher, but we are going to start off right away. These desks are paired up for a reason; the reason being  the person who is by your side is going to be interviewing you, as you will be interviewing them. I am going to write fifteen questions on the board. I want you to ask your partner."

She was starting to pass out lined paper when Ashton leaned over to me and whispered, "She makes us do this every year." If he knew she did this, why did he chose to sit next to me? Did he want to get to know the American girl or was this just his usual, preferred seat?

Mrs. Elling continued with her directions. "I'll give you the rest of the period to work, okay? You can get started when I finish writing the questions on the board. I do not want to hear any talking until I'm done." The class nodded and obeyed. They were clearly semi-afraid of this woman. I'm guessing she'd send your ass to after school detention if she wasn't listened to. 

She wrote on the board in perfect cursive:

Interview Questions:

1) What's your full name?