Chapter 28

The truth hurts doesn't it?

I woke up in a cold sweat. Sitting up, I gasped for breath. Charlie's words echoed in my head over and over. If what she said ended up being the truth, it did hurt...a lot. It killed me thinking about all of the little things I thought was our little secret. Our paradise by the bay sitting under the willow tree. So many memories were held at that spot; our first date, he asked me to be his girlfriend, our first kiss, he said 'I love you' and knowing Charlie somehow managed to know about that place bothered me.

I glanced down at a sleeping Ashton. His arm wrapped loosely around my waist, a smug smile tugging at his lips. I laid back down on the bed releasing the blanket that I had apparently been gripping on to and turned to face my sleeping beauty. Lifting my hand up to his face, I brushed away a curly strand of hair falling over his eyes.

He looked so relaxed. There was no crease in his forehead, no furrowed eyebrows, just pure relaxation.

My fingers moved from his hair to his lips, tracing their defined lines where the pink met his tanned skin. His eyes fluttered open and he looked at me groggily, the smug smile getting wider. 

"Hi," he said. His morning voice was attractive in a weird way. It was an octave deeper and had more of a raspier sound to it.

"Hi," I replied, feeling my lips curve upwards. I bit one side of them, hopefully hiding my attraction to this new, unheard voice of his.

"I think I could get used to this." He smirked, letting out a groan as he stretched his arms and legs out and arched his back to release of the sleepiness. My mouth went dry at the sound and I quickly swallowed. 

"Get used to what?" I asked.

"Waking up next to you every morning."

"Don't think this is going to be a regular thing," I said half-jokingly. As much as I loved waking up to his face, I felt like it was too skanky to be having my boyfriend stay the night at my place when I was still only in high school. I also didn't want him thinking this was an open gate to get to do some...things with me. Thankfully he'd been respectful of my one rule to take things slow when we first started being labeled as 'boyfriend and girlfriend' since he was my first and only boyfriend.

"Why not?" He laid on his side, propping his head on his elbow and stared into my brown eyes as I stared into his brown-green ones.

"Won't your mom be bothered at the fact that her high school son is sleeping over his high school girlfriend's house?" I said like it was obvious that we were too young to do such a thing.

He laughed. "I'm not talking about right now. I'm talking like a few years from now when high school is over with and when we're in university." I smiled to myself at the thought he was thinking about the future, as if me going back to the states wasn't going to complicate us and our relationship. "Plus, I've done it before anyways."  I saw him instantly regret it as he sucked in a deep breath. I automatically had a feeling he was talking about Charlie's sister, Casey.

"Oh," is all I managed to reply with.

"Babe," he sighed, reaching his hand out and rested it on mine which was laying in between our bodies, entwining them together. "That was over a year ago."

"How long did you guys date for?" I whispered, unable to keep eye contact with him as I spoke.

"Juliette, does it matter? She's nothing compared to you. You're amazing and quirky and beautiful. The list could really go on forever."

"I'm just curious to know what your past relationships were like considering we've never had the past girlfriends talk." I shrugged.

"I didn't think it was important," he shrugged back.