Chapter 13

• Dedicated to John Green

The kiss was like something I had never experienced. It was...magical. I could feel an explosion of sparks and fireworks go off around us. That's what it was supposed to feel like, right? I thought about Hazel's first kiss with Augustus in the Anne Frank house on their trip to Amsterdam. "As his parted lips met mine, I started to feel breathless in a new and fascinating way. The space around us evaporated," she had described it as and that was exactly how it felt: the two of us alone in our own little world.

The kiss was sweet and passionate; not too much force or any tongue. I had hinted before that I was a little uncomfortable with that still but only because I was inexperienced,

His lips were soft like silk against mine; brushing over like a light breeze. His right hand fisted in my hair, holding a tight grip on it while his left rubbed my lower back. I entangled my fingers in his curly waves as he leaned back against the grass, pulling me down with him.

Our breaths got faster with each motion our mouths made. He rolled over in a swift motion so he was now above me as I lied on the bed of grass.

It seemed like hours we were like this; enjoying each other's company in our secret spot in our own haven, not caring if anyone saw. We were happy and in love; that was all the mattered.

He pulled out from the kiss, allowing us to regain our breath.The loss of his lips left me feeling cold for we were back from whatever paradise we were in.

His eyes looked down at me, shadowed from the dark sky surrounding us. He lied on his side, propping his head up with his elbow. I turned on my side to meet his gaze and I watched as he reached over stroke his long fingers through my hair, resting his hand on my waist after.

"So how's your birthday going so far, Juliette?" 

I bit the corner of my lip and smiled from the other corner of my mouth. "It's amazing, thanks to you. My best birthday yet."

His eyes lit up as he grinned. "Were my gifts alright?" His eyes shined of hope as he waited for my answer.

"You're gifts were amazing and I loved them all," I said, the smile never leaving my face.

"Which one was your favorite?" He sounded like a girl, always needing to be assured she looked good; in this case he needed to be assured he made my birthday the best it could be.

"Hmm," I said and paused. I really couldn't decide. The ring that resembled our relationship, our official relationship itself, or the kiss. 

His eyes got more anxious within each passing second I took to respond. "You."

"Me?"

"You." His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I don't need gifts, as long as you're here it's the best birthday," I smiled. 

He rolled his eyes and smiled. "As sweet as that response was, seriously. What was your favorite? I'm curious."

"Without a doubt, you asking me to be your girlfriend." I loved seeing his eyes shine at my answer,

"And why's that?" Oh god, how was I supposed to answer that? I was still in a daze from our kiss that had happened only a couple minutes ago. 

"Because I love you." As I said it, I felt like a weight was being lifted off my chest. It had been obvious we had been trying to keep from saying it for at least the past month or so, so being able to say it was a relief.

He bit his lip to keep his mouth from getting any wider. "I love you too, Juliette." He lifted his hand from my waist to cup my cheek and leaned in for another kiss, inching his body closer to mine. The kiss was quick but it lasted forever.