Chapter 24

IMPORTANT: There’s only 1 chapter left and an epilogue! Crazy, right? Well I’m kind of happy this one is almost done so I can start focusing on the other idea in my head! Sorry if this is a little violent or unrealistic but this has never happened to me so I’m just guessing! Well that’s pretty much it so read on! And please VOTE, COMMENT, AND FAN!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 24

                Suddenly, Never Too Late by Three Days Grace filled the air. Liam reached over and grabbed his phone, flipping it open while still watching the road. It was now Sunday and Liam was taking me back to my house. I had spent the weekend at the Miller’s, wearing some jeans that I had left over there and some t-shirts of Liam’s.

                “Hello?” he asked casually. I could faintly hear the murmur of his mom’s voice on the other line and I watched as Liam’s face quickly turned to worry. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye and said, “No, it’s fine. I can get him.” There was a slight pause. “Really, it’s no problem. Bye Mom.”

                I turned in my seat to face him and looked at him in worry and curiosity. Staring straight ahead, his knuckles tightened on the wheel and he said in a tight voice, “Grayson got sick at a friend’s house. My mom and dad can’t go get him so I have to. Sorry Buttercup, I meant to stay over but now…” His voice trailed off and I laid one of my hands on his strong ones.

                I knew how much Gray meant to Liam and I felt really bad for him. Before, he thought he was going to be an only child and he didn’t like that but when Gray came along, he was so happy and extremely protective of that little boy.

                The car pulled up to my house and I leaned over to give Liam a kiss on the lips. I squeezed his hand once and told him, “He’s going to be okay. After all, he does have an amazing big brother like you.”

                He smiled at me thankfully and quietly said, “Thanks.” I nodded and got out of the car, watching it as it drove away.

As I was walking up my driveway, I saw my neighbor waving me over out of the corner of my eye. Tilting my head curiously, I changed my direction so I was heading towards the line of hedges that separated our yards.

                When I had reached her, Synthia’s eyes swept my face as if she was trying to tell if something was wrong. She was a redheaded divorcee in her mid-40’s who always brought food over for my dad and I when my mom left, but now I hardly ever see her.

                “I’m so happy to see that you finally got together with that Liam boy!” She told me a little bit too cheerfully.

                I smiled, “Me too. He’s really great.”

                Synthia nodded her head like she knew exactly what I was talking about and, trying to be casual, asked, “So, are you expecting any company?”