Chapter 2

Kurt and I walked to the math building in silence. I looked at him from the corner of my eye every so often, wishing I knew what he was thinking about. I hadn't known him for more than 20 minutes and I already found myself so interested in his thoughts.

Quiet people tend to do that to you.

When we reach our room, I immediately turned and walked to the back. I heard Kurt following me. The desks were in twos, meaning someone would have to sit right next to me. I wondered briefly if it would be Kurt, but quickly dismissed the thought. I took the seat on the right and look up to see Kurt standing in front of the desk awkwardly.

"Are you going to save it for someone?" he asks, pointing to the chair next to me. I shake my head. He smiles a tiny smile and takes the seat next to me.

As pleased as I was that he chose to sit next to me, I couldn't help but fell confused.

He takes out a notebook and a pen and begins to doodle. His movements are fast and messy. I could tell from the look of utter concentration on his face that he was an artist.

At first it looks like nonsense, purely scribbles and circles. But then his hand slows down and now the strokes are delicate. As the details accumulate, it begins to take shape. He was drawing a man. The figure had big glasses, a thick mustache, a receding hairline and one of those outfits you only ever see and man in a dead-end office job wear. You know the one.

For what it's worth, the drawing was impressively realistic.

I can hear the teacher in the front rambling on about himself, just as they all do on the first day of school. I ignore it. I can't tear my eyes away from Kurt's drawing. I'm a sucker for art.

As if he senses me staring, his hand suddenly stops and he turns to look at me with a questioning look. I can feel myself turning red. "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare." I say quickly. Oh good, now I'm going to seem like a creep. "That's really good, you know. You're very talented."

Now it's his turn to turn red. I don't think he was expecting a compliment. "Thanks," he mumbled and went back to drawing. I stopped watching Kurt so that he wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

The rest of the hour went by in a blur. Kurt drew the whole time and as incredibly tempted as I was to look at his art, I restrained myself. I didn't want to chase away a new friend.

No, more like new acquaintance. He was too quiet for me to determine where we stood.

When the bell rang we both rose and walked out together.

"What's your next class?" I asked Kurt. "This is my free period. What about you?"

"Science," I responded. Kurt nodded. "I'll see you later then." He waved and left in the direction of the front of the school.