Chapter 26

I pulled up into the rehab facility feeling happier than when I was last here. It had been one week since Kurt was admitted and now I would get to visit him.

I walked into the front office and was greeted by the same nurse that took Kurt away.

"Oh I remember you! You here to see your boyfriend?"

"Yeah. Do you know where I can find him?"

She rose from her chair. "Right this way honey." She opened a set of double doors and lead me through the unfamiliar place. "I'm Edna by the way. And I know you're Allison because Kurt can't stop talking about you." She smiled softly.

"He talks about me?"

"To me, yes. I don't know about the others. You see, around here I'm everyone's friend. Some call me Mama Edna. And Kurt is no exception. When I gave him the tour on the first day, I asked him about himself and he mentioned you a lot and from then on we talk often."

I knew from the moment I saw her a week ago she seemed really nice and now that I'm hearing this I'm glad that she befriended Kurt. Lord knows he can't be too alone. When he arrived to room number 208, she stopped.

"This is his room. I'll leave you two alone." She winked.

"Thanks Edna." I flashed her a smile.

"No problem. And remember; I'm here for anybody." And with that she walked away.

I turned back to the door and knocked. I heard a small voice say, "Who is it?"

"Room service." I said sarcastically.

"What?" said Kurt. I heard shuffling and then the door opened. "Oh, Allison!" He pulled me in tightly as I giggled at his excitement.

I pulled back so that I could study him. He looked almost the same except for one thing. "Your hair is clean?" I stroked it, having rarely ever seen his hair so clean.

"Yeah, the make me wash it every day." He sighed exaggeratedly. "Come inside." He took my hand and lead me into his small living space. It was was painted tan color and consisted of a twin sized bed, a desk, a chair, a trunk for storage of belongings, and a small window.

"Nice place you've got." I joked.

He chuckled. "Thanks. Designed by Martha Stewart herself." He sat down on the bed and I did the same.

"So how are you? Do they treat you well? Do you feel any better?" I asked.

"I feel a little better, I'm not sure. It's too early to tell. But the staff is really nice to me. There's this one lady named Edna and she's me best friends here."

I smiled. "I know, I met her and she told me. She also said you talk about me..." I trailed off as I gave him a questioning look.

"I can't help it. I miss you so much." He kissed my forehead as I held on to him.

"You'll be out of here in no time. Then you'll be clean and we'll be happier and we'll get Monti a girlfriend so that we'll have more children." He laughed.

"I hope so."

------

I pulled up into my driveway some 2 hours later. Kurt and I basically talked the whole time. That's when I started to notice a change. It was not physical, rather mental. One week in rehab and he already has a clearer head. It was noticeable in conversation.

I sat in the car for a while, not sure what to do with myself. For the last week while Kurt was gone I took it upon myself to remain occupied at all times. The house underwent a deep cleaning, as did my wardrobe. I learned a few songs on my guitar, tried different stuff with my hair, watched some of Kurt's civil war tapes. Never had I realized how much I really depended on him.

When I opened the door, I was greeted by Monti's meows of hunger. After feeding him, I grabbed my little radio and went outside to smoke. I usually didn't listen to the radio because I preferred listening to my own selection of music but today I didn't have any particular preference.

I tuned to my favorite college radio station. They're the only ones that play good music. As soon as the dial hit the right number, a familiar song began to play. It was Love Song by The Cure. I hummed along to the song.

How ever far away, I will always love you
How ever long I stay, I will always love you
What ever words I say, I will always love you

Funny, last time I listened to this I didn't find any meaning to these words. Now they seemed like the only words I wanted to hear because they were so true.