Chapter 35

Recording for Nirvana's album - recently named Nevermind after a lyric from one of the songs - had been finished by June.

"'1991: The Year Punk Broke'?" Kurt said. He was on the phone with Kim Gordon who was trying to convince him to do it.

He listened into the phone. "We'd love to."

Kurt hung up and walked back to the couch.

"Looks like we're touring Europe again." he said as he sat down.

"You don't seem so excited." I rubbed his back.

"I'm psyched actually. It's just that I don't think anyone will know who we are. You know who else will be there? Besides Sonic Youth there's Dinosaur fucking Jr." He sighed. "Babes in Toyland and Gumball too."

"Relax. Is Kim wants you to do it it's because she knows that it's best. She's like your sister/mother, you've said it yourself." Kurt and Kim have grown to be very close. They were fond of each other in a platonic way. It was cute.

"I guess you're right." he said. He relaxed as so did I.

Suddenly his words sunk in. "Wait, Dinosaur Jr. is going to be there?!" I exclaimed.

Kurt laughed. "I knew you'd freak out." Of course he did. I fucking love them.

----

In mid-August, Nirvana recoded their first ever official music video. I shot one for them last year with Chad for a song called 'In Bloom'. It only ever made it to Sub Pop. They never released it. 'In Bloom' made it onto Nevermind, though.

This music video will be for a song titled 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. The theme for the video would be a high school riot, something Kurt had always been into.

An announcement was put out asking for people to participate in the video. On the day of the shoot, there was a good turnout. On the downside, the extras were forced to sit in the bleachers throughout a million replays of the song all afternoon. To make up for it, Kurt convinced the director to let them mosh at the end.

When the video's editing was finished, it was shown to Kurt. He didn't like it. He insisted it wasn't chaotic enough. Instead, he personally oversaw a re-edit of the video. The band agreed that that one was much better. It was sent to DGC to be released when Nirvana returned from the European tour.

----

The European tour went amazingly. It was so much fun, despite everyone's fears of being overshadowed by the other bands. One of the most memorable moments was when Kurt jumped into the crowd after playing Endless, Nameless - a new track - and was pulled back by Thurston Moore. The cameraman absolutely loved it.

Courtney was there with her new boyfriend Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins. I wasn't a big fan of them but Billy was nice enough. When Courtneh and Billy leave the room, Kurt graffitied "Courtney Plus Gish" on the wall to poke fun at them.

I also got to meet one of my idols, J Mascis. After a concert with Nirvana, Kurt and J came up to me and Kurt introduced me.

"My girlfriend is in love with you." he said jokingly.

"Doesn't sound like a very good girlfriend." J raised his eyebrow.

"I love your music, not you. You aren't as good looking as Kurt." I challenged.

J nodded his head. "That's fair."

I spent the rest of the time asking him questions about his music and writing style. Sometime during our conversation, Kurt slipped out. I felt kinda bad for boring him but it's not everyday you get to meet your idol.

Well actually, I'm getting to meet my favorite artists more often than ever. One of the cool things about Nirvana's success was getting to play with some of the coolest punk bands of the moment. You'd think I would have gotten used to that by now, but every time I meet someone famous I flip out. Internally, of course. I don't want to actually freak out and embarrass myself. Kurt thinks that's funny.

When we all returned from Europe, the first thing I did was run to Dez's apartment and retrieve my cat. I'm such a cat lady that every time I was away I thought of Monti. He's like Kurt and I's child.

Dez on the other hand wanted to know all about the tour.

"You don't even like their music."

"I'm not asking about the music, I'm asking about the tour! Did you feel famous? What was that like?" Dez asked excitedly. He dream was to be a famous actor so this behavior was understandable.

"I didn't feel famous - I was backstage. The guys did, though. They thought that no one would pay attention to them but they got louder cheers than most of the others. It was so much fun, Dez!"

His eyes twinkled. "Someday I'll be getting those cheered too, Allison. Just you wait!"

"I'm counting on it." I smiled. He was such a cheerful person. I'm glad he's my friend.

I returned to my apartment to find Kurt sprawled out on the couch. He was asleep, clearly exhausted. I snickered as I set Monti on his chest. Monti began mewing and licking Kurt's face.

"Ally, what the fuck?" Kurt mumbled. He slowly opened his eyes and saw that it wasn't me licking him.

"Monti!" he exclaimed. He sat up and played with him. Kurt looked up and me happily. "What a nice surprise."

"That's what I was going for." I smiled.

Kurt yawned. "You should go back to sleep. On a bed." I told him.

Kurt pouted. "Can Monti join us?"

I laughed. "Certainly."

I picked Monti up and walked hand-in-hand with Kurt into our bedroom, like a family.

_______________________

Guys, thanks so much for 2k reads!!! 😭😭