Chapter 34

With Nirvana once again complete, the boys decided to seek out a new record company. Apparently, Sub Pop forces then into a certain sound. On top of that, they didn't do so well with promoting Bleach. Nirvana sought out for DGC Records, a label that held all the good bands at the moment.

It wasn't such a surprise when they responded with enthusiasm about wanting to work with Nirvana. Well, not for me anyway. Kurt was bewildered at the fact that anybody liked his music. But that was just Kurt.

Having already recorded a few songs for a second album with Sub Pop a while ago, they knew who they wanted as a producer. And that person was named Butch Vig.

Right now, it was all about arrangements. Nothing was settled. everything was hypothetical.

It was almost New Years again. Time seems to zoom by, right before my eyes. I remember the first New Years I ever spent with Kurt and Krist a few years ago. Who would have thought that they would be all be living in Los Angeles making plans for a second album in just a few years?

---

1991 was greeted bittersweetly. On one hand: 1991! On the other: Courtney Love was back, and this time with Kim Gordon - one of Kurt's idols. I know, I know, I seem like such a jealous girlfriend. But I never know what's going on in Kurt's head. I don't know what he thinks about when he sees these women. The thought scares me.

A week after New Years, Shelli, Kurt, and I were hanging out at a big club downtown. It was something of a celebrity attraction - even Kurt received attention. But the main attraction was when Courtney and Kim walked in, hand in hand.

Shelli just about died when she saw what they were wearing, so she went up to ask them where it was from. I watched from a distance as she approached them, fearlessly. She flashed smiles and responded. After some exchanges, Shelli pointed to Kurt and I and suddenly they were circled around us.

"Small fucking world!" Courtney yelled over the music.

"I know right!" Kurt responded.

"Wait, wait. Let me just say, Kurt Cobain, I love your music." Kim said excitedly.

Kurt looked astonished. "You love my music? I love your music!" Oh, how rock stars are.

They went into a conversation about how they were all coincidentally signed onto the same label. Apparently, Kim Gordon is going to produce Hole's first album. Shelli and I hung back as we had nothing to do with that they were talking about.

"Wanna dance?" Shelli asked me.

"I'm not much of a dancer, Shell, you know that."

Courtney, as if she sensed the word 'dance' turned around and said, "I'll dance with you." They went out to the dance floor and danced a dance that would probably give Krist a boner if he were here.

I turned to see Kim's face wrinkled in disgust. "You don't like that, do you?" I asked her.

She realized that her face gave it away and composed her features. "Not my style. I'm much more... quiet."

"So is Allison." said Kurt.

As we talked, I noticed Courtney flash looks at us. No, at Kurt. She was trying to get his attention. What was wrong with this woman? I repositioned myself in front of Kurt's view so that he wouldn't be able to see her. I smirked as I imagined Courtney's anger at my actions.

"You're a sensible girl Allison. I like that." Kim said, snapping me back into their conversation. "Not many females in the rock scene are like that."

"Oh, I'm hardly in the rock scene." I blushed.

"Actually you are. DGC are going to make Nirvana as big as Sonic Youth."

"You think so?" Kurt cocked his head to the side.

"They don't, but I do. That's how Sonic Youth happened. You'll get there Kurt." She patted his shoulder and stood up. "I'm going to get Courtney before she takes someone's virginity." We laughed. "It was nice meeting you guys. Feel free to call me for anything." She smiled warmly and left.

"She's so cool." I said.

"Yeah. I feel like you two could be really good friends." Kurt said. Now wouldn't that be crazy.

Shelli returned to out table looking flushed. "Damn." She laughed.

"That's exactly what we said." I told her. "You two would make hot lesbians."

"That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!" Shelli exclaimed.

"Someone's too tipsy." Kurt said quietly to me.

"Agreed. Let's take her home." We left the club and returned to the apartment building. After dropping Shelli off, we went to our apartment.

"You know," Kurt said as he took off his coat, "watching two almost-lesbians get it on on the dance floor gets me going." He wiggled his eyebrows.

I laughed loudly. "You have the weirdest turn ons KC."

"I was joking. Also, KC?" he asked.

"Your new nickname. I just thought of it."

Kurt came up and hugged my waist from behind. "I like it." He rested his head on my shoulder.

I brought my hand up to the side of his face. "Why are you so cute?" I asked.

"Takes one to know one." he said and kissed my cheek. He let go of me and walked to our bedroom. "Hurry or I'll start without you!" he said as he ran into the room. I rolled my eyes and followed him in.