Chapter 16

4 Months Later

Nirvana has become somewhat of a hit in Aberdeen and even neighboring cities. Ever since the New Years show at a party - which happened to have very many attendees - we have been getting calls about possible gigs. And I say 'we' because Kurt and Krist think of be as part of the band because I let them practice at my house and help manage all their gigs.

Chad was sacked because he wasn't dependable enough to practice often. On top of that, his drumming wasn't loud enough - Kurt's screams overpowered him. Kurt was really nice about it though and we're still friends with Chad.

Kurt was warned about his grades last week. He was told that he didn't have enough credits to graduate and he would have to go back again next year. Upon hearing this Kurt went nuts, saying things like, "waste of time" and, "no point". So he dropped out.

I was upset at first but Kurt assured me that he had a master plan and if it failed he'd go back to school. We shook on it just in case.

In the mean time he has taken up a janitorial position at a local inn and is thinking of working at the YMCA over the summer instead.

Krist and Shelli are very serious now and are thinking of moving in together. The only problem is that Kurt doesn't want to live with them. I offered my home, which he graciously accepted. He's moving once Krist, Shelli, and I all graduate.

My father never returned from his holiday trip to California - just as I predicted. Every month a check arrives to the house that is just enough to pay the bills, so I guess I technically haven't been left completely alone.

I avoid going to particularly gnarly shows partly because if I get caught by the police I'll be thrown into a shelter for living alone underage - my birthday is in June - and partly because I hate parties.

I have recovered from my incident in the physical sense. In the mental sense, not so much. Sometimes if I'm too quiet Kurt will bombard me with questions. He really looks out for me. As I do for him.

One night when he thought I was asleep I heard him whisper very faintly "I'll protect you no matter what." And then he hugged me tightly and went to sleep.

We make art for each other. He makes music and paintings. I write poetry and take photographs. My house has become somewhat of a museum because I preserve our art and proudly display it on the walls. Neither of us likes admitting to being lovey-dovey, but when it's so out in the open you can't deny it.

_____________________
The next chapter will be more eventful, promise.