Chapter 27

I arrived to the rehab place early on Christmas day and was greeted by a cheerful Edna.

"Morning, Edna." I greeted her. "You're working on Christmas?"

"Well someone has to honey. Here, sign in and then you can go."

"Actually I wanted to take Kurt out."

"No problem. Bring him here and sign him out."

I made my way to room 208 and knocked on the door. There was no answer. I knocked again. This time I heard slow steps approaching the door.

A sleepy Kurt stood at the doorway. "I love you but your punctuality is killer at times." I chuckled. "Let me get my things." he smiled.

A few minutes later we were out the door. Kurt and I both agreed that Christmas equals family and New Years equals friends so we would spend today with family. And that family consisted of Kurt's mother and sister.

Over time, I've become quite close with them. They know about my parents and have taken me with open arms. Being around Kim, his sister, makes me wish I had a sister of my own. And Wendy, his mother, reminds me so much of my own mother.

The last Christmas of the decade was spent very well. We ate a lot. Even me- they always say I eat like a rabbit. We watched old Christmas films and exchanged gifts.

We didn't mention about Kurt being in rehabilitation because he didn't want to 'make a fuss'. But even so, Kim noticed a difference.

"Hey Kurto, you look less pale. Allison's paler now." she laughed. He paused and looked thoughtful for a moment and then winked at me.

---

New Years '89 was a weird one. Kurt was granted permission for another outing so we went to Krist and Shelli's place. We, being the party animals we are, drank tasteful amounts of red wine and trashed everything that came on MTV. We tried to play twister but everything went downhill when Krist accidentally pulled my pants down. Later on we managed to get a bonfire going. Kurt cut off a chunk of his hair and threw it in the fire but some of it blew away in the wind and burned a patch of grass. When the ball dropped in New York City, Kurt tried to convince me to have sex with him right then and there. I don't know what it was that night but we were all in this mood where everything was funny and okay.

You could call that a disaster but we thought it was fun. Thinking back, it was one of my favorite holidays ever.

---

Three months later...

The first thing Kurt wanted to do when he was released was change his appearance. He felt that it was right for some reason. So, he went out to the nearest drugstore, bought a box of blond hair dye and barber scissors, came home, and went to work.

"Are you sure you don't want any help? I've been cutting my own hair since I was 15." I insisted.

"No, it's a surprise!"

An hour later, Kurt stepped out of the bathroom with his new look. His hair was a few shades lighter than his natural hair just more blond. He cut it to just below his chin.

"I was going for your length but did it too short." he said. My hair was now three inches longer than his.

"Damn," I nodded, "you look hot." He laughed loudly and shook his head.

"Why don't you ever believe me when I say you're damn good looking!" I say, a little exasperated.

"Okay, okay, I'm a smoking babe."