Chapter 9

In my dream, Kurt and I were sitting in a field of sunflowers - my favorite kind of flower. He was in the middle of a song I had never heard before. He was singing to me and it was lovely. I felt the familiar feeling of calm and reassurance when I was with him.

All of a sudden, the sky turned red and Kurt collapsed. Stunned, I tried to wake him up but nothing was happening. Then I began to cry, but when my tears touched his body they burned holes through him. And so I sat there, weeping next to the lifeless corpse of Kurt Cobain.

I awoke with a start, the image of Kurt still on my mind. And it would remain there for quite sometime...

On Monday I was anxious to see Kurt. Trust me, if you'd had a haunting dream like that you would be too. I didn't know where he and Krist usually hung out so I had to wait until lunch. Only it was now lunch time and they were nowhere to be found. I decided to go looking for them to see if anything was wrong. I had just gotten up when I saw Krist walking over to me.

"Hey Ally, Kurt didn't come today."

"Why not? I ask. I'm not a big believer in astrological myths but this was a freaky coincidence. What if I had foreshadowed something?"

"His stomach was hurting too much. You can go see him later if you want. I'll give you the address." Before I had even responded he was writing down the address. He handed it to me with a serious look on his face. "I can't go till very late. I have tests these next two periods and my mother wants to see me after school. But he could really use some company."

Now I was worried. "Yeah, I'll definitely go."

-–

In math class I was not able to concentrate on anything because I was too worried about Kurt. Fuck it. I'll blow off school. I owe it to Kurt; he did the same thing for me.

--

I knocked on the red wooden door. There was no answer. I rang the door bell. Still no answer. I couldn't just wait around out here - what if something was wrong? I found an open window and climbed in. I looked in all the rooms but Kurt was nowhere to be found so I checked the basement just in case. But to my surprise it had been turned into a bedroom. And sure enough, Kurt was there lying on the bed.

As I approached him I saw his face was twisted with pain even though he was asleep. My hand made its way to his cheek where it burned upon contact. He was on fire. I went back upstairs to get a wet cloth for him but as I was looking around I heard footsteps running into the bathroom.

"Kurt? Kurt!" I ran after him and caught up just in time to see him throw up. I held his hair back as he heaved into the toilet bowl. I found myself not being disgusted at the sight, it really doesn't matter when the person who is in trouble is important. When he was done he rinsed his mouth and I brought him some water.

He sighed. "You're not supposed to see these things, Allison."

"Kurt it doesn't matter. I want to help you. You do what you have to do."

He looked at me for the first time. "Is that why you came here? To help me?"

"Of course. I care about you. Don't you know that?"

Kurt smiled a little. He took my hand and led me out of the bathroom. My heart skipped a beat at his touch. He took me down to his bedroom and we sat on his bed. "Can I show you something?" he asked. I nodded. He reached underneath the bed and pulled out a guitar.

He began to play a song that sounded very familiar. When he started singing, it hit me. It was the song from my dream. I turned my attention to what he was saying.

"I need an easy friend
I do, with an ear to lend
I do, think you fit the shoe
I do, won't you have a clue."

Something about the way he sang made me emotional. He really meant what he was saying. It sounded like a love song. And I had heard it in my dream!

When it was finished he looked at me excitedly. "What do you think?"

"I love it." I really did.

I stayed with Kurt until Krist got back. We talked most of the time but when his stomach pains got very bad I insisted he rest. In turn, he insisted I stay with him. As I sat in his room while he was asleep I couldn't help but look at him while he slept. He looked so peaceful. Not to mention cute. It brought back my favorite memories of him. When he laughed at my jokes, how passionately he would speak about music, his smile. Being with him was so easy.

Somewhere deep within me I felt like a door had been opened for the first time. I think I may have feelings for Kurt.