Chapter 18

I knew Kurt was upset with me. I was too. It's best to leave him alone in these situations. He wasn't speaking to me very much. He sticks around to make sure I don't do anything stupid but isn't willing to have a conversation.

Finals are in two days and I have been cramming everything I've ever learned into my brain. I decided to take a break and went to visit Kurt's bridge. As I sat underneath the bridge I heard distant cat meows. I looked down the hill and saw a small kitten drinking from the muddy bank of the Wishkah River. I gasped. I knew Kurt liked cats and I've always wanted one.

I slowly made my way down the hill, making sure not to scare the kitten. It looked up at me but was not frightened. Instead it wandered over to me. I bent down it climbed onto my lap. I picked it up to check the gender. He was a boy.

As an animal lover, I refused to let this kitten out in dangerous wild. Or, you know, the city. I decided to keep him.

I happily made my way to Krist's house where Kurt was. "I'm getting strong name vibes for you, little guy." I told the kitten. He just looked up at me with his bright green eyes.

I knocked on the red door and to nobody's surprise, Shelli answered. She greeted me excitedly. I hadn't been over in a while.

Like me, she fell in love with the cat at first sight. I had named him Monti on the way here.

I asked where Kurt was so that I could show Monti to him.

"He's in the basement. I haven't seen him in hours."she shrugged. I knocked on his door but there was no answer so I opened it and went down the stairs. I saw Kurt leaning over a desk, breathing heavily.

"Hey Kurt. I've got someone who wants to meet you." I told him. Kurt jumped at the sound of my voice. He quickly spun around in the chair and stood up, wiping his nose.

"Allison- hey is that a cat? What are you..." He trailed off as I sidestepped him to see what he was hiding. On his desk are two rows of white powder. I wasn't stupid. I knew what this was. He hadn't been breathing heavily, he was snorting.

"What the fuck Kurt?" I say angrily. "Cocain? Why?"

"I just... well you weren't supposed to see this." He laughed nervously.

"So you think it's okay to do this? A-and hide it from me?" I questioned.

He sighed. "Well, no, but I knew you would flip. But now you know. I'll tell you- it helps ease the pain better than marijuana. Mental and physical."

I sighed heavily. I knew he was in no shape to get yelled at and frankly, I don't like yelling. I settled on giving him a warning.

"Kurt, drugs aren't the answer. At least not the illegal ones. I'm not going to flip out on you. I just want this to get through to you: this shit will ruin you. You're going to get rid of it. Please, promise you won't touch this again."

He looked at me and nodded. His pupils were dilated and his hands were shaking. I doubted I was getting through to him.

-

I waited for the high to wear off. Kurt loved Monti. He played with him the whole time I was there. At one point Krist and Shelli walked into the room. While Kurt was occupied with Monti I pulled them aside and told them what I had seen. They looked very somber as they agreed to watch Kurt more closely.

"No offense or anything," Krist said, "but you two are so... problematic." They knew about both my and Kurt's pasts with depression all too well. They were right.

_____________________________

Fun fact, Monti is the name of one of my guitars.