FOUR

"the murder selfie"

"For CHR Radio. Welcome to the story Autopsy of a Crime. This is Moon Taeil podcasting a murder investigation of Byun Baekhyun, day by day as it all unfolds"

Kihyun walked towards the school building the next morning as he listened to a true crime podcast. He was still trying to avoid having a conversation with any of his friends, including Chanyeol. 

"So, it's been four days since this brutal slaying and the local police are still looking for Baekhyun's ex-boyfriend, Oh Sehun, as a person of interest. With this town's blood-soaked history, echoes of the homegrown psycho, Jung Hyunbin, are everywhere. Walking the streets, you can hear terrified locals wondering: could he be back?"

"Hey," someone grabbed his shoulder, startling Kihyun. He turned around as he took off his earbuds and saw Hyungwon, Minhyuk and Mark in front of him. "You didn't answer any of my texts. I know you received them, they say 'read.'"

"Hey, guys." Kihyun greeted Minhyuk and Mark, completely ignoring Hyungwon. He continued walking.

"What are you listening to?" Mark asked, running to his side. Hyungwon and Minhyuk follow suit.

"That true crime podcast, they're covering Baekhyun's murder."

"AOC? I'm addicted." Minhyuk exclaimed. "They have, like, a crazy huge following. I can't believe he is talking about Baekhyun."

"Well, Baekhyun loved being the center of attention." Hyungwon said. 

"Yeah, apparently, even with Chanyeol." Kihyun muttered bitterly. He almost walked away from his friends when he heard Hyungwon call him. 

"Kihyun, wait," Hyungwon sighed. Kihyun turned to the taller, waiting for what he had to say. "Look, I'm sorry. I should have not dropped Chanyeol's indiscretion like that at the party."

"No, you should've told me when you found out."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry." He apologized. "It's just— you know how Baekhyun can be if you crossed him. I mean, he'd terrorize you. Seriously, I was scared of him." Hyungwon gulped before he could apologize one last time. "Ki, I'm really sorry."

The three stood there, waiting for Kihyun's response. Taking a deep breath and nodding, "Okay," Kihyun said. "I'm still pissed but you're on probation."

Hyungwon smiled. "Hey, I would do community service for you. I would even wear an ugly orange jumpsuit for you." They laugh.

"Well, I'm touched."

"Thank God. I can call off the intervention." Minhyuk said, relieved that they both made up.

"Hey, have you guys gotten weird phone calls lately?" Kihyun asked as the four walk inside the school.

"Yeah, selling generic sex pills from India. No thank you." Hyungwon said.

"No, like creepy, mysterious weird. I don't know," Kihyun described. "This guy called and said something about how we pretend to have perfect lives online, on Instagram and Facebook."

"Well, he must be ancient if he thinks we're still on Facebook." Mark let out a snort. They look back at Kihyun who was still deep in thought.

"It's probably just Hoseok or Jackson being jerks." Minhyuk said.

"Maybe."

♡♡♡

"So, Jung Hyunbin." Chief Sohn said as he stood in front of his desk. He looked over to Jooheon, who seemed a bit nervous to be sitting in his office. "I mean, you really think it's healthy to have an obsession with a serial killer?"