SIXTEEN

"the truth" 

Taeil sat in the couch of The Grindhouse that afternoon as he continues working on his podcast. New information about the murders have been released and the male couldn't wait on talking about it.

"The brutal murder of Park Chanyeol has forever changed the town." Taeil spoke in his small mic. "I came here as an outsider. And then Park Chanyeol saved my life. So now I'm part of the story. I can't even pretend to be objective anymore. Now, I just want it to be over. And for the people that I've come to know to find peace again..."

Taeil trailed off as he saw Kihyun who was picking up the dishes and cleaning the tables. He hasn't seen the teenager for a while, totally understandable. After going through something so traumatic, Kihyun definitely needed space and time for himself.

Kihyun was getting closer to him. Taeil decides to stop his recording and placed his mic down on the table.

"Hey, stranger." Taeil greeted as soon as he arrived. "Welcome back."

"Thanks." Kihyun responded as he took his dishes.

"Did you hear the news about Chae Dongmyun?" Taeil asked.

"Yeah. Yeah. I heard."

Seeing his poker face and hearing his bitter tone, Taeil realized that Kihyun wasn't somewhat okay with the news.

"You're unconvinced?" Taeil questioned.

Kihyun lifted his head and sighed. "I find it hard to believe that, uh, the Mayor was the one who was chasing us around that bowling alley." He said.

The teenager lean down to clean the coffee table when some of the dishes that he was holding fell down and shattered on the ground.

"Oh. I'll do it." Taeil jumped from the couch to pick them up.

"Don't. I got it."

"It's okay. I want to help." Taeil said with a small smile.

Kihyun didn't bother to say more and went ahead to do the same. A coworker of his came up to them with the tray of dirty dishes and the two placed them inside.

As soon as he left, Kihyun faced the older.

"Everyone wants to help, but no one actually can." He told him.

Taeil only led Kihyun to sit down on the couch.

"Kihyun, I know you're going through hell, but you're going to survive this." Taeil began.

"You know what, maybe it's actually better if I don't." Kihyun only said.

"Don't think that."

"He said that it ends with me." Kihyun continued. "So let's just skip ahead to the ending."

"You can't let this sadistic bastard win." Taeil said. "If you're the key to all of this, then you have to find a way to fight back."

"I did." Kihyun turned and faced the older. "And he sliced Chanyeol in half, right in front of me."

Taeil didn't have no words to say for that one.

"I don't know if I have any fight left." Kihyun said lowly.

"Yes, you do. Because you come from a family of survivors. Your mom, your dad, and now you. Don't forget that."

"He said that my family's a fraud."

Taeil only pursed his lips. "Do you believe him?" He asked, focusing on his reaction.

"I..." Kihyun only shrugged. "I don't know what to believe anymore.