SEVENTEEN

"the lead"

"Hey, guys. It's Moon Taeil, with a special Halloween podcast of Autopsy of a Crime.

So, in looking for a connection between the murders past and present, I had to wonder about Jung Hyunbin's mask. Turns out, it disappeared from county evidence last year, but was never reported. If I were Chief Sohn, I'd be looking into the suspect's whereabouts around the time the mask went missing. But even then, what's Im Jaebeom's connection to Jung Hyunbin? Why become the monster behind the mask?"

Chief Sohn placed the knife that was inside the evidence bag in front of Jaebeom the folllowing day in the interrogation room. The teacher only looked at it for a second before he looked up at the older man.

"We found this knife in your classroom." Chief Sohn began. "Any idea how it got there?" 

"No." 

"It had traces of Park Chanyeol's blood on it." 

"It's not my knife." 

"Look, we know you're involved in the webcam spying." He continued. "With the evidence we have and your assault on Chae Hyungwon—" 

"I wasn't trying to hurt Hyungwon." Jaebeom clarified.

"Because you cared about him, right?" Chief Sohn asked, but he recieved no answer from the young man. "Yeah, I... I got that. Just like you cared about Seo Juhyun when your name was Park Jaebeom, and she was found murdered?"

It was obvious that Jaebeom was shocked at the fact he brought Seo Juhyun up, but he remained calm and kept a straight face.

"I think I'm gonna wait for my lawyer." Jaebeom finally said after a moment.

"Yeah, I thought you might." 

"We're just really glad that you're okay." Mark looked up at the rear view mirror and saw Hyungwon facing the window. "You must've been terrified."

Hyungwon was in deep thought as he recalled the past events. His mom is in rehab, his dad is in jail for the man that got od'd in their guest room and then last night. His attack from the masked killer which could possibly be the person he never thought it could be: Jaebeom.

If anything, he had a rough time. 

And now here he was, in the backseat of Jackson's car with Kihyun. His friends heard of what happened and now, here they were giving them company and a ride to Hoseok's house.

"I was." He exhaled. "I can't believe that Jaebeom could do any of those things."

"Hyungwon, he's not who we thought he was. He is literally a different person." Kihyun said. 

"But that doesn't make everything about him a lie."

"I wouldn't be so sure." He heard Jackson say. Hyungwon just shook his head and looked down on his lap. 

"Why didn't you ever tell us?" Kihyun asked. 

"Because I knew you would get all judgy." Hyungwon answered quietly.

"Hyungwon, we're not judging you." Kihyun continued. "After everything that we've been through, I just want to make sure that you're actually seeing this clearly."

"Are you? 'Cause after what happened to Chanyeol, it seems like you just need to hold someone accountable." Hyungwon said.

After hearing those words, they don't utter another word. Kihyun was taken aback by what his friend said, and he would be lying that he wasn't a bit infuriated by it.