EIGHT

"the aftermath"

The group of friends were standing together in front of the police station, seeing Minhyuk's body being wheeled past them. 

"Oh, my God. How did this happen?" Jooheon yells, walking up to Kihyun alongside Changkyun. "How did this happen?"

"Hey! Hey!" Chanyeol says, trying to calm him down.

"Protect and serve, my ass!" Jooheon yells. 

"Jooheon—" 

"Where was he? He was right here!"  

"Jooheon! Come on. Breathe." Changkyun tells him. "Jooheon, stop!" 

"I don't understand. I don't understand." Jooheon cries as he sits down on the steps. "Who would kill him? I need to know." 

"Yeah." Kihyun wipes his tears. "So do I."

"Hey. Hey." Mark calls after Kihyun. "Where are you going?"

"Wait for Hyungwon, okay?" Kihyun only tells him before he heads straight to his mom's car.

"Mom." Kihyun runs up to his mother. "Who is it?"

"Kihyun, you shouldn't be here." His mom sighs but figures she couldn't do anything anymore. "Come on."

She leads Kihyun below the bridge where firefighters and police officers were on the scene. Chief Sohn was observing the scene.

"Is it Sehun?"

"No, sweetie."

"Is he dead?" 

"The driver was decapitated during the crash." Chief Sohn says.

"Hey, Chief." An officer comes up to him.

"Yeah?"

"They found this near the car." He says as he holds up the object that was inside the evidence bag.

"That's the Hyunbin mask." 

"Honestly, guys, this is a tough one to talk about. I mean, I've covered some terrible things, but last night, I felt it. The hunt for Oh Sehun ended in tragedy and another teen lost his life. And the press will be hyping the curse of Hyunbin and looking for someone to blame, but I've met these kids. Their loss is impossible to describe. So I'm not gonna try. My heartfelt condolences go to the friends and family of Lee Minhyuk. I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Could you turn that off?" Mark says quietly.

Kihyun turns off the radio and sits next to Mark and Hyungwon in the bedroom.

"I can't believe he's gone." Kihyun says.

"I can't believe I abandoned him." Hyungwon says.

"Hyungwon, we all did." Kihyun says.

"But you were worried about me. And I was just..." Hyungwon sighs, not daring to say any more.

"Hyungwon, it's not your fault." Mark says.

"You know, I don't think I'm gonna make it through this town hall thing." Hyungwon says and leaves the bedroom.

Kihyun sighs and stands up from the bed, straighten out his shirt. "I guess we have to go now." He silently says.

"Hey. Found you." Changkyun says as he walked inside the gaming store. Jooheon is seen laying on the couch, looking on his phone. "Did you sleep here last night?" The younger hands him a cup of coffee and sits down.