Chapter 19: Assumptions

Natsu's POV

  With my sweaty palms, i hit the receive button. Shakily, i leveled the phone to my right ear and tried my hardest to control my heartbeat. It's unconsciously beating way faster than normal. Too fast that i'm afraid i'll get a heart attack later. Geez, what's happening to me? It's not like this 'Luce' is actually my Lucy, right? I mean, Cole maybe is  attending the same school that her family owns but that doesn't mean they actually know each other. That would be too ironic..

  "Hello? Cole?" I felt my heart drop upon hearing her voice from the other line. It can't be.. How is this possible?

  "Uhh, you there?" She continued on but i refused to answer, fearing that my voice would backfire and betray me.

  "Are you playing a joke on me, Cole? If you are, it isn't funny!" There was slight irritation and frustration on her voice which almost made me chuckle. I can imagine her pouting and fuming right now..

  "Urgh! Fine. If you don't wanna talk, then don't. I just called to remind you about bringing the book you borrowed last week. I need it tomorrow so don't forget!" I pursed my lips to a thin line, gulping slightly. Goddamnit! I miss her voice so much.

  "Luce." I can't help but mumble which i immediately regretted. I heard a gasp from her, causing me to panic.

  "C-Cole? Is that y-you? I thou-" without second thought, i hit the end call button. I slumped down on the chair and buried my face on my hands. Why? Of all people, why her?

***

Lucy's POV

  "Well, that was weird." I mumbled to myself as i stared at my phone in wonder. I swear i had heard his voice earlier. Though, it may have only been my imagination. Well, Cole actually sounds like Natsu. But his was a little more rough and edgy. Natsu's has a deeper yet huskier one, though i doubt it still sound like that. I mean, it's been years. Surely, he undergone physical changes.

  Decided to not put anymore thought to it, i made my way downstairs and went to the living room. My eyes immediately found Luke who was slumped on the sofa, watching tv. He has this bored expression on his face.

  "Hey, ugly brother." I greeted as i went pass him and out of the room to enter the kitchen. I rumpaged the fridge and immediately found what i was searching for. Chocolate cake! Mouth watering, i hurriedly cut a slice and went back to the living room. Still no progress on my brother though. He was still lying on the sofa with a blank face. What's with this guy?

  Ignoring him, i sat on the smaller sofas and dig on my cake. Wwaaahhh! Heaven!!

  "Hey, annoying sister. Have you got in touch with Cole?" Giving my him a curious and questioning gaze, i gulped down the dessert  slumping on my throat and nod. What's with the sudden question?

  "Yeah, i just talked to him over the phone a few minutes ago. Though, i'm the only one who did the talking."

  "Huh?"

  "Well, i tried to make him talk but he won't say anything. Annoyed, i went straight to the point and told him what i needed. But what was strange is that he said my name then immediately hanged up." This somehow made him think.

  "That's weird. It's Cole we are talking about. He hardly stops talking! But what bothers me most is why doesn't he anwer my calls yet he picked up yours the first attempt?" Woah, is my brother jealous?

  "What are you talking about?"

  "Well, you see, me and the gang planned to play arcade. Though, it was last minute planning. For unknown reasons, he didn't showed up. We waited for three hours but yet he didn't showed up. We finally gave up and posponed our plans."

  "Huh? He ditched you guys?"

  "I don't really know. But i doubt he can do that. Cole isn't that type of guy. We tried calling him for hundreds of times, yet he didn't answered. My main assumption is that he's caught up with an accident. But seeing that he answered your call, thats not the case anymore." I looked at my brother in disbelief. I was literally gawking at him. I mean who wouldn't?!

  "Just because a guy didn't answered any of your calls doesn't mean that he's caught up in an accident! Sheesh! How could you assume that?!"

  "Well, what do you want us to think?! That we can't contact him since he's currently riding a plane to North Pole?! Or because a bear stole his freakin' phone?! Or maybe he was kidnapped by his pet dog that he once abandoned to take revenge?! Or-"

  "Would you shut up and stop making such stupid scenarios!" Snapping at him, i smacked him on his head. I mean, what kind of sane person can think of those things?! Oh, wait. How can i forget? He's not sane at all.

  "Urgh, can you call him again? I need to talk to him and give him an earful for not showing up today." He attempted to snatch my phone from me but i immediately dodged him and moved away.

  "Why don't you use your own phone?!" Again, he dove for my phone but i managed to run. I quickly went to the living room just to escape but he's faster than me. No kidding. He's an athlete after all. He do push ups and exercises while i lock myself inside my room to read and write. Not another minute later, he caught up with me. He snatched the phone from my grasped and plopped down the sofa. I saw him smirk in satisfactory, my guess is that he managed to get pass my security lock. Eh? But how?

  "Again, i ask. Why don't you use your own phone? And how the heck did you know my password?!" groaning, i sat beside him. He shrugged and placed my phone to his ear.

  "Well, he did answer your call. We called him over 50 times but never once did he answered. He's making an exception, don't you see? And about your password, it wasn't that hard to guess."

  "Makes sense. Wait.  How is my password easy to figure out?!"

  "Easy. Your too predictable. I know how obsessed you are to Astrology. So, it wasn't that hard to know that your password is 'Stars'."

  "Shut up."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hello!!

  I know. I know. I'm the worst writer ever since i didn't update for what feels like forever. I'm just experiencing a major writer's block and i don't think it's going away anytime soon. Truth is, i just forced myself to write this since it's christmas and all. I'm sorry... Also, i'm not sure when i'll be able to update next. Gomenasai.. *bows multiple times*

Please follow me, read, comment and vote..

Love lots,

-JeRein_14