Chapter 26

A few short hours later, I was hiding behind a ration crate on an Imperial supply ship on route to the Death Star. Hera was with me. She decided to come along so that it would be easier and faster. The ride to the new battle station was going to be long, which gave me ample time to speculate about the events at Lux's apartment.

Why had I been able to revive Sabine? Reversing death is against the will of the force. It must have had something to do with my new powers. It was kind of satisfying to know that I could keep whoever I want alive without getting hurt. I mean, I only had a minor headache thanks to my new headdress.

It got me thinking. How different would it be if I were to use the same power to bring people that have been dead for a while back? I have a strong connection to Lux even after his death. Is that because of me, him, or my power? Does that connection exist between myself and anyone else?

I had an idea. It was so far-fetched and reckless, but might work. Might. Assuming it doesn't destroy me in the process.

"It's possible, you know," said Lux's ghost. I jumped and nearly knocked over one of the ration crates. Hera had an interesting facial expression. She looked surprised but was doing her best not to burst out in laughter.

"Sorry," I whispered. "I'll explain later."

I then turned to Lux's ghost. Since this part of the ship was dead silent, I had to communicate with Lux telepathically. He couldn't be seen or heard by anyone else.

"I also loved the way you left my apartment. Very neat, organized, and tidy," he continued.

Oh, stop it. Next time, you clean up after an explosion. I did my best, given the circumstances.

"Sure, sure. Whatever you say."

So what I'm thinking is possible, then?

"In theory, yes. I have connections in the dead people society-"

I laughed to myself. Lux, it's the Netherworld of the force, not some secret society. Saying it like that makes it sound like you have no respect.

"Ah, but you see, I'm dead. What will they do? Kill me?"

I rolled my eyes. You're impossible.

"By the way, I was chatting with Grand Master Fae Coven while you demolished my apartment-"

I did not demolish it!

"-and she apparently had the spirit of the daughter at one point as well. She said that there is a way to manipulate your power to affect life. There's a holocron with all the information you need to know about it in the temple."

Are you serious?

"Nope I am absolutely kidding. Of course I'm serious! Why else would I be telling you?"

I don't know. I felt a small jolt as the shuttle came out of hyperspace. We were almost there. We'll talk again soon. Hera probably thinks I'm absolutely crazy by now.

"Is she wrong?"

Possibly. Go give a speech to the zombie council or something while I break into the Death Star.

It was his turn to laugh. "I don't know where you are going with this new power thing, but take it easy. See you soon."

Lux's ghost faded away. I turned to Hera, who apparently thought I was having some sort of staring contest with the wall.

"This is not what it looks like," I whispered.

"Good," she replied. "I was beginning to worry about your sanity for a moment there."

"It's complicated, but I was telepathically communicating with a good friend of mine who happens to be dead."

"I'll take your word for it."

The ramp extended in the back, and Hera and I crept towards the back of the ship. We then carefully and quietly made our way towards a control room. From there, we can use the access code to hack into the Imperial Database and find the Death Star plans.

There weren't too many troopers around since the station was still under construction. Hera and I were able to sneak into a control room near the hangar without any issue.

The problem was dealing with the officers and troopers in the control toom. Sneaking in wasn't going to work out, so there was no point in trying. Using a Jedi mind trick wouldn't be effective on such a large group, so we'd have to fight them in some way. Still, after so much time, I am not able to kill any living trooper or officer.

We closed the blast doors to the three hallways leading to this room to make sure reinforcements didn't arrive right away. I opened the door, and without showing myself, I used the force to break all the security cameras in the room.

Hera and I burst into the room. She stunned the officers with her blaster while I fought the armored stormtroopers using a good old-fashioned fist.

Once all the troopers were down, I shook my fist a little. "I missed the armor upgrade memo apparently." Hera just laughed.

Using Lux's codes, I was able to get a copy of the Death Star's technical read-out from the computer. After it was finished downloading to the disc I brought, I felt a presence. Vader knew I was here. It was just a matter of time before he found me.

"Hey, you alright?" Hera asked.

"Hera, we need to leave. Vader knows we're here."

"How can he possibly know-oh no."

The troopers were waking up. We hadn't taken long to get what we came for, but I sort of forgot about the troopers surrounding us.

"You take this," I said, handing the disk to Hera, "and get As far away from this battle station as possible. Contact the others not using the shuttle's system and tell them to come pick you up on there. We have to ditch the ship before we go anywhere of meaning because they can track it."

"Got it. See you soon." We parted ways, and I ran towards Vader's presence.